Chapter 9

Comfort by the Stars

1995

Maxine

I can't sleep, this time forcing my eyes closed doesn't have the same effect it had before, so I stand up from my temporary bed, careful to not make the springs squeak.

Then, I slowly and groggily trudge towards the exit of the tent, shrugging on my jacket.

After I stepped outside, I look up at the sky. It's a clear night, the stars in their full glory.

Maybe the stars will help me.

"Max? What are you doing here, you should be asleep."

Max?

I jump from these words and whirl around to see Ryle walk towards me. He seems to have a look of distress on his face.

Is he on night shift or did something happen?

I don't dare to ask why, but I act fast and rummage in my pocket to hand him the scripts I picked up from the barrel and folded perhaps more than five times, along with the pen.

"Couldn't sleep. You're up too," I say briefly. Ryle raises a brow and takes the pen and folded paper from me, slowly unfolding it. "On duty, and... try to get some rest, okay?"

Although I can tell that this isn't necessarily the truth, I don't want to ask further.

With that being said, he pushes past me, leaving me in the night, until I see his shape disappear in the military tent.

I surely didn't want some comfort from him.

Definitely not.