Chapter 21

My Seven Minutes

1995

Maxine

"The international council has decided to lift the law of deportation of refugees."

My jaw drops.

It has been a few weeks. A few weeks since Ryle made his choice. A few weeks since I finally had hope again.

Ryle was unsure for how long the law would stay established and now...

It no longer exists.

Just like that, an international declaration was made.

There are cheers, cries and shouts of joy in the tent when the news reporter announces that through the small portable Television.

People throw their arms around each other, clinging onto the other like it is their life buoy.

Where is Ryle – I need to tell him about it.

I slide from my mattress and hastily throw on my jacket to go outside and look for him.

He probably heard about it already, he is quite fast up-to-date with things.

The cheers and embraces continue outside as well, the entire district is shaken by the positive news.

I need to find Ryle, even in all this commotion.

My feet carry me in a distinctive direction, I walk faster and faster.

"Maxie!" someone calls out. I shoot to the direction the voice is coming from – so familiar - and my eyes begin to water.

He's there, looking for me as I am for him.

"Ryle, oh my God!" I begin to run towards him and throw my arms around him when I reach him.

I cling to him like he is my life buoy, I get what the other people are feeling.

A feeling of home, of belonging.

Burying my nose in the nape of his neck, I inhale his scent while he wraps his arms so tightly around me that I'm afraid he'll break my ribs.

"It worked out..." I mumble, and a sob escapes my lips. "It worked out in the end."

It worked out.

Everything worked out in the end.

Strangely, and somehow picture-perfect.