Chapter 95

Trust me when you're lost

2035

Valencia

"Valencia? Are you okay?" Aidan's voice tears me back into reality.

I might have been staring into thin air for a little too long. My fist tightens around my brother's plush cow when I think back to finding him like this. I have prepared myself mentally for him growing up without me in his life, yet I never thought the reverse would happen - I didn't think my life would be this much in shambles after finding him like that, so frail and cold. This lifeless-

"Hey, come on, let's talk about it." Aidan's voice appears from behind my shoulder and he comes over to sit next to me on my front porch, looking out to our neighborhood. It has been almost four months. Four months since my brother passed. Four months of me grieving. And also Four months of me realizing that I am slowly accepting it. Four months is a long time. I should come to terms with it.

I sigh. " I was just... lost in thoughts."

Aidan's hand gently grabs mine. "It has been some time since we last met, you know. And we need to catch up on each other's lives."

He has a point. We lived alone for the last four months, since the incident, but we met throughout - rarely, since I almost never left the house because I was so stuck in my grief. Now, Aidan has come over to me to meet again.

Nothing much changed on Earth, I didn't meet any new unsuspected strangers. Also not much changed between me and Aidan. I could say that we feel closer, drawn together if we get the choice, but we never take that step. Not until now, so far. I swallow a lump in my throat as I look at the decrepit houses opposite the street to mine. After a moment, I look back to Aidan, noticing him being seemingly lost in my eyes.

"You know, I have lost everyone in my life. Everyone. You and Henry were the only ones I had left. And now, since he passed, you are the only one I'm holding on to," I manage to say. Sometimes it's hard to find the right words, especially near him, sometimes it's just hard to find the right words to describe my grief.

Aidan grabs my hand a little tighter and places his on top. "Can you promise me something?" he asks, carefully. "Promise me that we will from now on keep nothing from each other anymore."

I nod. "I promise."

Our pinkies interlock once again - we made a promise.

Silence spreads between us, until Aidan clears his voice, glancing at me from the side. "Have you been sleeping?"

The question catches me off-guard, although I already expected it. "Why?" I ask.

And as I suspected, I hear a little snicker coming from Aidan. "Well, you look... absolutely miserable, if I can be honest with you."

I snort. "Is it that obvious?". A sound of agreement.

"Have you been sleeping?" I ask in return.

He shakes his head, serious again. "Since I have seen you like this, I feel miserable too. I always thought you might not bear the pain anymore. And that made me feel incredibly hopeless."

My heart feels heavy when I realize what he's implying. "I'm sorry for dragging you down with that so much."

He shakes his head. "No, no. It's alright. I was just worried." I drop my head, unsure what to reply to that.

"What are your plans for today? I mean, it's noon, but besides that?"

Aidan thinks. "I just wanted to check up on you. But that's not the real reason why I am here."