Chapter 31

I won't die on you

2031

Jason

Oh, if she knew how I feel right now. How the shivers she gives me resemble her hands holding mine.

We are friends.

"Jason... "

"Yes," I mumble, my voice suddenly hoarse, "all right?"

Sina's hand gently reaches out to mine.

"You look like you're going to die of a heart attack," she grins.

Yes, yes, because her existence makes my heart skip too many beats. I shake my head. "I won't give you that satisfaction," I joke.

Sina nudges my side and scoffs. "Oh, haha."

I smirk. "No, I mean it."

Her eyes scan me, almost hopeful.

"I won't die on you." My words echo through the small distance between us.

Sina's cheeks redden. "You can't promise something you don't know the outcome of," she mutters.

She's right.

I look outside, through the dull glass behind the wired mesh shutters.

We have to be back at the base before dawn.

"It's not time to go yet, right?" Sina asks next to me, sounding almost sinister. I look at her. "No, it would be a shame to ruin this."

"I don't mind this here," she sighs, almost like a hum.

The thudding of my heart almost seems palpable through the deafening silence between me and Sina.

"Got something on your mind?" I awkwardly ask, seeing her look at me.

She takes a breath. "No, it'd be against my morals."

I grin. "What morals? It's not like we lose more and more each day."

Sina huffs at my comment. "I think it depends on how you look at it."

I frown. "What-"

"The General will kill us if he finds out..." she mumbles.

What?

I raise a brow.

We are so close, I can feel her sighed breath on my skin.

Her eyes shoot up to mine in the darkness again. "Jason, I think I-"

There is little to no space for us both to look at each other with a distance between us. Neither of us pulls back, presumably because we both suddenly feel like we're meeting for the first time again.

Every feature on her face looks like I remember when I saw her arriving at the base on her first day.

Sina bites her lip – a trait she does when she is nervous, and also one she should put off because it drives me insane.

Her hand reaches out to brush a strand of my brown tousled hair out of my face, sending heat through my skin as if it's scorching hot. "Don't tell anyone about this."

"About what?" I want to ask but suddenly, Sina kisses me. My eyes widen for a second and instantly, I pull back.

"What the f-"

We are friends, no?

My body acts before my thoughts can process what just happened.

And our lips meet again. I almost lose balance and brace my hand on the shelf, pushing Sina against it, partially hovering over her, yet almost drowning in the feeling of her lips against mine.

What are we doing?

Her eyes flick up to mine, just as much in disbelief as I am.

"This is..."

Wrong, a rule broken, heavenly, bittersweet poison, the voice in my head wants to scream.

But instead of speaking those words out loud, I pull her to me and we kiss again.

We aren't friends anymore.

I don't know when or at what point that ever changed.

But her lips on mine make me forget time and space completely.