Chapter 30

F. R. I. E. N. D. S

2031

Sina

We took longer to get to the store than I expected.

But here it is, Grey's Groceries - fresh and organic sits in front of us, dark and abandoned.

The window shutters are let down, restricting any access we could have had from the front.

Jason walks out in front and navigates his way through a narrow alley. "Sina? I think this would work."

I follow up to where I heard his voice sound from. He stands in front of a wall – the back of the store, and motions to a part where the plaster and bricks seem corrosive and are already crumbling apart.

"If we kick it in? It could work, yeah," I breathe and knock the steel tip of my boot against the wall. The sound echoes dully throughout.

With a harsh motion, I use some force.

A few flakes of plaster chip off and fall to the ground like snow.

I hear Jason chuckle behind me. "Don't be hesitant. There's not much you can't break."

His boot joins mine and together we stomp against the wall, our kicks growing stronger after each one.

Plaster and cement trickles down from our impact.

The concrete keeping the bricks together is porous and after a few attempts, the wall caves inside, shifting the bricks in their position.

Jason gently pushes me aside and kicks against them one last time, with a force that makes my jaw drop.

Oh my god.

But his kicks proved one thing – he caused an opening, an entrance. A way in.

I guess seven months in the army paid off.

A part of me still sticks with Aidan, I hope he managed his mission. I hope Suraya is safe with him. No doubt she wouldn't be, but she is like a sister to me, being in the army as long as I have.

It's her first mission. She'll be safe.

"Sina, come on," Jason gently reaches out with his hand to grab mine and pulls me with him through the hole.

The inside of the store is musty and smells foul.

I grimace from the stench and turn to Jason, who already shines a path into the store.

How is he always so brave and prepared? I know I can act like a lamb cornered by wolves, so how does it seem so easy on him?

"What would you pack, now seeing the whole assortment?" I ask and flick on my flashlight too, separating from him to go into an aisle adjacent to his.

Jason snorts. "Do they sell guns here?"

"What?"

"Because I could use one for Aidan."

I scoff. "Jason."

My words have a warning tone to them. It's not rare that recruits have hatred buried inside themselves for another, but I don't need it to happen to my friends.

"Sorry. Probably some Auntie Jones ravioli. I remember having them as field rations and didn't share them with my teammates because they tasted so good."

My flashlight strikes the shelf with said cans on it and I hold one up. "You mean these?"

A smile spreads on Jason's face. "Yes, these."

I purse my lips. "Great then, and they are only... five months overdue. Lucky winner."

With a sarcastic grin, I toss two cans in his direction – him of course catching them immediately.

"What about you?"

I think. What would I pack? A bag of bravery and humor.

"It's not the first time we're doing this so... a little here and there. Whatever catches my eye," I reply and look through the shelves in my aisle.

Jason leans against a shelf in front of me. "Me, then. Look, I'm a special offer," he smirks and holds up a torn-off special offer price tag to his chest. "You get sarcasm and attractiveness in one."

A choked laugh escapes my throat.

We've been friends for seven months, ever since I arrived at the base. Our third teammate might have changed a few times for it to be Aidan now, and still, it never crossed into our friendship.

Friends. We are friends.

But now, seeing Jason like this, with his eyes grazing mine with a mix of emotions I can't quite pinpoint, I'm not so sure about that anymore.

My feet step forward until I stop in front of him, looking up into his dark eyes.

"Jason... "