Chapter 56

Two Bullets

2035

Valencia

It is just a vivid dream, but... it happened again.
Darkness. That is what I see when I open my eyes.
Somewhere in the distance, I hear a slight whistle of wind creeping around a corner.

No. No, No, No! Not again.

This has happened too many times by now.

I don't want to do this... I don't want to be here. Please. No.

I can't see anything, it is pitch black darkness around me.

'Open your eyes, Valencia,' I tell myself, again and again, 'Snap back to reality!'. But my eyes feel heavy at the thought of even moving. No matter how much I try to force myself to wake up and escape from this place that haunts me every night in my dreams, it is useless. I know, what awaits me is not good. And I am not ready to relive it again, either. I know that I am dreaming, I want to recall for myself that I am still laying in bed, just having a... really vivid dream.

I can hear a faint ripple of water dripping down a pipe. The noise gets louder. I squeeze my ears shut with my hands.

Where am I? Why did I have to be here?

No use in thinking, the sudden sound of water rushing into the emptiness rings in my ears. It runs toward me.

I try to inhale to scream, but it gets caught in the back of my throat. The water floods the darkness within seconds. My Converse sneakers are already soaked. I can't move, I'm not able to scream, I can't breathe. I do not know if it is me freezing in shock or because of the ice cold water rising up higher and higher every second.

No! Not again, please!

Henry.

Where is Henry? I need to take care of him, I need to see if he's okay...

The water rises up to my pants, reaching my calves. It is freezing cold. My fingers get stiff, my joints hurt. My hitched breath echoes through the dark abyss. The water still keeps rushing in, it reaches up to my waist now. I feel helpless.

I do not want to die, I do not want to die.

The water reaches up to my chest, the cold temperature of the water makes me inhale sharply. I lift my chin to keep my head above the water level when it rises up to my throat. My body is frozen.

I can't move, I am cornered - there is nowhere to go. All I can do is watch. Sheer panic rushes through my veins. But then, without a warning, the water consumes me with a wave. I don't even have enough time to either breathe in or scream. It's always like that.

I feel myself tumble around in the current like a newspaper in the wind. My heartbeat is in my head, it is more than just racing. Once I somewhat regain balance, I frantically try to push the water aside to ascend. Useless. My hair flies around my head. The water rises even higher above me floating in it. Suddenly, I am way too low, way too close to the ground. The distance between me and the surface feels too big.

I see faint beams of sunlight trickle through - sunlight, that is way too far away for me to reach. Panic strikes every single one of my nerves. My lungs start to burn. I still push away the water, still trying to reach the surface.

I can't make-

"Valencia."

Someone says my name in the distance. I can't make it in time, regardless of my efforts. It always has been like this. A sudden thought comes to my mind.