Chapter 80

Lost in Abyss

2035

Valencia

Aidan has saved my life. He held me close when that plank dropped into the water. He pulled me up when the ladder fell. Now, we're closer to Manhattan with every step we take - closer to finding the medicine for Henry. Every step is getting us closer.

The tunnel in front of us is dark, except for the bit I can see in the light of Aidan's flashlight. Why didn't I bring a flashlight too? I only have a candle. It didn't help when I was out in the Bronx looking for the actual pharmacy we always went to. Now, it isn't of use either. But I didn't know what risky moves Aidan was prepared to make.

Right now, I don't know what to do. I can only trust my senses. Smell, hearing, feeling and taste. I can't see. Nervously, I grab Aidan's hand.

There was a noise earlier. These people in the basement - they had survived so long. I don't know them, I didn't know of them. What if it's another survivor wanting to draw attention to them? Slowly, I am not believing any more that we are the three last people alive. Aidan holds my hand and leads me through the tunnel.

I notice that his grip is tighter than the other times he has grabbed my wrist or hand, and I also notice that his breath is hitching, echoing unevenly through the tunnel, yet I don't ask him about it - I am just as terrified as he might be right now.

In the darkness, I stumble over the rails a few times, but other than that I am safe by his side.

I glance at Aidan's watch again.

9:37 am.

Aidan has told me we can find shelter before midnight. But the way through the tunnel is long. Very long. We pass some minor subway stops but Aidan just pulls me along every time I think we are there already. The next time I look at the time, it's 9:56 am. He will tell me at what station we need to get off. We will go to Manhattan. Henry will be okay.

I don't know if I will make it to the pharmacy. Aidan is strong in comparison to me. I'm weak - strong enough to survive in my own house, but weak to survive out.

For two days. A hundred miles or more.

Henry will be okay.

The darkness is driving me insane. The only source of light is Aidan's flashlight, the only comfort I have is him.

I blink. Aidan's flashlight shines in a specific direction, to another railroad cart. I stop dead in my tracks when I notice the issue. It is entirely blocking our way across the rails any further, the underbody staring directly at us.

I hear Aidan swear under his breath for a brief second, then he abruptly turns around and shines his flashlight in the opposite direction - the one we came from.

Maybe because I'm stupid, I already want to open my mouth to ask him, but he pulls my hand along with him and starts walking toward the side of the tunnel.

In this darkness, I can't decipher where he is leading me. It feels weird - putting all my trust in a stranger to lead me through the darkness.

I've trusted him with something more than just darkness. My brother.

Aidan comes to a stop in front of what seems like a steel door, similar to the one in his shelter. This one doesn't have a wheel to turn, though, just a rusty door knob. His hands shake slightly, as Aidan turns off his flashlight and forces the door open. The hinges squeal and we are greeted by yet another, more intimidating darkness.

I stretch out my arms to feel for any walls in this emptiness and almost gasp when I do indeed feel a wall on my left and right.

When Aidan flicks his flashlight on again, I am proven right.

We are in another tunnel - a small tiled one, a maintenance tunnel as the Personnel Only sign suggests.

At the end of the small tunnel, something reflects in the light. I squint my eyes to see what it is when I suddenly hear a click! besides me.

There is the sound of buzzing and then - to my utter surprise - fluorescent lights on the ceiling flicker on and illuminate the hallway in dim light. "It seems like the emergency power supply still works." I hear Aidan comment beside me.

Emergency Power Supply?

It turns out that he has pulled down a lever for said power.

"How long will it last?" I ask quietly, my eyes flying back to the door at the end of the hallway. He shrugs and we hesitantly walk toward the door. After taking a closer look, I find out that the door isn't closed, it is propped open.

"Should we go ... in?" My voice echoes through the hallway.

But Aidan can't reply, because the lights start to flicker.