Chapter 23

Watching the World diminish

2026

Maxine

"Ryle, what is happening?" I ask and get up from the chair that I've been sitting on, reading.

All I can hear are tornado sirens from outside blaring through the window that my husband now shuts.

Ryle walks over to me. "I need to be back at the base, an emergency, how they stated," he mumbles, already looking for the car keys.

My eyes widen at his words. Faintly, I see Valencia standing in the doorway. "Sweetie, go back to your room, I'll be right with you, everything's alright." I force a smile on my face to which she turns around to go back to her room.

I know she's responsible, even for eight years, if everything came down to it she'd take good care of Henry.

Everything will be alright.

"I'll pack your bags," I say to Ryle and walk to the bedroom.

God, how I hope he'll make it home safely.

How I hope he'd not even leave this doorstep.

But work is work, and his duty is still his duty.

I throw open the closet and begin to rummage through the drawers after I toss the biggest bag I could spontaneously find onto the bed.

Something warm, something with short sleeves, an extra pair of socks and two pairs of jeans.

Weirdly enough, this reminder from Hailey at the refugee camp echoes in my ears. Eight years ago. And I still remember it.

I guess my mental reminder worked.

Thank you, Hailey.

My eyes quickly scan the hangers and drawers.

I pack what I can find. A sweater, a shirt, two pairs of socks and cargo pants.

"That'll have to do..." I mumble and zip up the bag.

"Mommy?"

My daughter's words make me shriek and I shoot around. "Jesus Christ- Vally."

Valencia looks at me with wide innocent eyes. "Henry is crying again."

Oh no.

My instincts kick in to listen out for his cries through the sirens still blaring from outside. I hear it – any mother would.

Ryle needs his bags packed and ready to go.

"Rub his back and sing," I say in a hurry while I gently push past Valencia to the door to hand the bag to Ryle.

"Okay..." she whispers.

It hurts me to push my daughter away for a moment like that. Ryle gently grabs my hand and presses a kiss onto my temple. "We'll be alright. Everything worked out so far, we will be fine."

Oh, how I hope to believe his words.

But even his usually calm eyes tell me that he doesn't believe in it.

"I'll unlock the car, but I need to carry in two boxes, care to lend me a hand then, Maxie?"

I nod and give my husband a gentle kiss while he already turns to head to the driveway.

"Mommy?!"

Valencia.

"I'm coming, Sweetie," I hurry to her room, almost tripping over my legs, and I stop dead in my tracks to see that she managed to calm Henry down, he is sucking away on his pacifier while she holds him in her way too small arms, gently rocking him like I taught her.

"I'm scared."

Crouching, I brush her hair out of her face. "I know, Sweetie, I'm here."

What's going on must be terrifying to my children. Henry is too young to notice, but by the wide eyes Valencia scans her room with, I can see that she is visibly unwell.

"Maxie?" Ryle stands in the doorway, giving me a solemn expression.

Almost unnoticeable, he nods to the hallway behind him.

For a talk, please.

"I can't leave them in this room," I whisper. "Then... bring them into the basement. I'll be there right away," Ryle suggests. "That tornado won't reach the basement. It can sweep away this house, but not the basement."

I sigh and look to the ground, slowly resigning. "I can't leave them alone. I just- I can't."

A hand brushes away a strand of hair from my face. "You know I love you, right?"

I do. I do.

"That's the only safe spot I know, and they won't be alone for long. It hurts me too," Ryle whispers and pulls me to him, wrapping his arms around me, as if he doesn't want to let go either.

"Mom..."

Valencia pokes her head out of the door to her room.

Damn, she is good at sneaking up on me.

"We're going to the basement." I ease myself away from her father, almost reluctantly letting him go.

"It'll be okay, Sweetie, it'll be okay," I reassure Valencia as I guide her down the stairs to the basement while she carries her baby brother.

"Mommy, I'm scared," she whispers. Internally, her words twist my gut. I don't know if I'm coming back.

"I'll come back," I lie. "Where's daddy?" Valencia asks.

"He's upstairs to pack some bags, he can't come right now. We love you..." I press a kiss on her temple and one on Henry's head. "It'll be okay."

And then I turn around. Every inch of my body wants to break down, cry and scream when I watch the heavy basement door fall shut in front of Valencia. Our daughter and son, both caught down there.

They'll be safe.

I know they will.