Chapter 75

Out and Gone

2035

Aidan

We've been walking along the street in downtown Bronx. Most of the stores here aren't even accessible to us since the destruction has closed most paths to it, most hospitals are in the same state of destruction, if not even worse. So we have to go to another pharmacy, in Manhattan, next to the Bronx. 100 Miles at minimum. I went there before and it took me two days. Maybe I didn't do the math correctly but I am sure that it's at least 100 miles.

We need to go around a lot of blockages that cut our accessible ways short and stretch our time longer.

Some parts of the Bronx look worse than the rest, some don't look affected at all. Although, you can tell that something has happened since all the buildings are abandoned.

The Bronx got hit quite often and seriously in the past by anomalies.

We pass apartments, stores, skyscrapers, post offices. All throughout, we don't talk. I notice that Valencia is on edge, startled by every noise on the street.

After some time, she finally speaks. "So ... how exactly are you planning on getting us there?" she asks next to me, breaking the silence between us. It's the first real thing she spoke to me ever since.

Internally, I'm glad that she is talking. I look up to try and get a basic orientation.

The road in front of us stops at a dead end - one that wasn't there the last time I went to the pharmacy. Crashed cars are blocking the way on either side. We need to go around it.

Or over it.

I turn to the side. There are two three-story buildings on my left and right quite a distance apart, still under construction. A crane, slightly taller than the buildings, is halfway collapsed with one end of the rear arm on the rooftop of the one to my left. Between the two houses, a hole gapes - probably an underground parking garage that collapsed.

There is no way we could walk across it.

I point in one direction. "There. We walk to that building, get to its rooftop and..." My voice trails off as I look for a way to get across the gap between the two buildings. "There, that crane. We just walk over that. Passing that, we should come to a subway station at some point. From there, we walk along the rails, come to a city park and that's when we know we're in Manhattan. Practically that's the short version of my deadly, totally ill-conceived plan," I explain.

Sheepishly, I look to Valencia from the side, already expecting a That-is-so-deadly-talk, but she just sighs.

"So you have no idea where we're going?"

"I mean, I know the basic direction. But it's been some time since I've been there," I defend myself. She grimaces but then grins. "And you're always so straightforward with possibly dying?"

I shrug.

"Sounds like a plan I'd make," she says.

At first, I chuckle, but then I get serious. "No, seriously, I know the directions and I will make sure that you will get there and back alive. I promise. And for me, it is also good to get there, I need a restock anyway."

Just like that, I made a promise. I don't know if I can keep it, but I will put all my might into it.

Apparently, Valencia doesn't know what to say to that, so we continue, this time our way directed toward the construction site.

It turns out that the way to it is a little longer than I thought.

I navigate my feet over the cracks in the road. After I managed, I wait for the girl to catch up.