Chapter 54

Left Behind

2033

Aidan

Yet I didn't guess that moment would arrive sooner than I thought.

A flood in the Bronx.

I just barely managed to climb down the ladder to the underground bunker and slammed the hatch shut above my head.

Sitting on the cold concrete ground, I wrap my arms around myself and look up to the fluorescent lights.

My mind starts to wander back to the flickering fluorescent lights in the restroom back at the base – when I had a flashback.

And I can't stop it, I start to think back to my mother and sister – both their deaths I never got quite over.

Ninha was four when she died because we got refused urgent medical care.

I was eight.

And although it happened more than eight years ago, it still feels like I saw her yesterday.

I think back to the base.

Back to Sina.

To Suraya.

Did they manage to get back to the base? I hope so.

My Missing In Action report surely has been changed to a Killed In Action one already.

No, I didn't turn to go back to the base after one night in the bunker.

And no, I won't plan on doing so, again.

Did the base survive the flooding?

Would they even stand against it? Every refugee camp, every safety center, every medical care station, and every house would quite possibly be surrendered to the flooding.

I never experienced flooding before in South Korea, I also didn't at the base. This is a first.

And as much as I might despise my father still, I am grateful that I am here, in the bunker, alive. Not out there, drowning in the current.

In the apocalypse.