Chapter 12

Find You

1995

Ryle

I am sure that I ticked off her name from the list. Yes, I remember drawing the line with my pen, I definitely couldn't forget her eyes locking with mine just then.

But now, I can't find her among the refugees sitting at the long tables, eating.

Maxine is missing. I always took her for a rebel, she never seemed to be going along with rules, I've seen her break more than she stuck to.

But at some point, she has to be able to decipher a line drawn.

Or do I have to show her, deliberately?

Immediately, I walk over to the Captain.

"Sam, someone is missing," I murmur into his ear, discreetly, while he takes a bite from his bread roll. No need to make a scene by saying it out loud, everyone would be worried or nervous.

"Oh, yeah? Let me guess, it's the Caleb-girl I have seen you around with lately."

Caleb. Her last name.

"You know?" I ask.

Samuel chuckles. "You didn't make it a secret."

I didn't mean whatever situation I have with her. He knows Maxine is missing.

And yet, he's not doing anything against it. Or he doesn't want to.

I'm sure he has witnessed more people going missing than I have. At some point, you go numb to situations that left you in cold sweats earlier.

"She's missing, so what... I'll go and find her, that's what you're saying?" I sigh.

The Captain nods, totally unfazed. "The other soldiers are on a mission, yes."

Great.

She's not in the sleeping tent. I only stare at her messed up bedsheets and the plastic binder she carried on her ever since I fished her out of that subway tunnel, lying on the folding chair in front of her bed.

People go missing, sure, I shouldn't make her disappearance more of a deal than the rest of the cases.

She isn't in the women's restroom either, after I called out for her, I got no response.

Deep inside, I hope it's because she is somewhere else rather than having collapsed, or being unconscious in one of the stalls.

Faster than I thought, I am out at the gate, interrogating the soldiers guarding it, for a young redhead girl slipping through their grasp.

They deny any incident, and I slowly feel my hope slipping away.

She must have managed to leave the base if I can't find her anywhere in it so far.

If so, she's out there, in the Bronx, probably wandering around in search of something or just to get away.

I have to find her.

Maybe, Maxine had a good reason to want to leave, maybe it was her death wish.

I slip through the gate with a notice to the guards, on my way to find her.

After navigating through the streets of downtown Bronx, I start to draw out the most vivid images in my mind, of where she could have gone and in what state I'd find her in.

I don't doubt Maxine could kick ass, but considering the circumstances the world is under, I don't think it is of use in her situation right now.

After sweeping through the area close to the camp, I have officially found no trace of her, yet.

There is only one more place where Maxine could be. The subway tunnels are a closed-off, restricted area since they are known for being shut off to the outside, causing a good environment for polluted air to gather there, without access and exchange to oxygen.

"Oh, no, Max... " I mumble as I grab my gas mask and make my way to the stairs leading down to the first tunnel.