Chapter 72

As soon as Charlie entered the room he could pinpoint Bella's location from her heartbeat. She wasn't the only human in the room but there weren't many.

He had Janice on his arms as he immediately made his way towards his daughter only to stop short, his eyes narrowing as he got a look at her dress. Part of him wanted to grab the nearest tablecloth and wrap it around his daughter.

Immediately his eyes were scanning the room and meeting the eyes of any man that was looking at her.

Janice laughed lowly beside him and patted his arm "Calm down, let her have this. She looks amazing" she whispered as she led him towards Bella and the Cullens.

Charlie just grumbled as he walked up to them, as soon as she saw him Bella smiled but Charlie could tell she was slightly embarrassed. He just nodded to her "You look..uh, good" he said gruffly before clearing his through awkwardly.

Bella laughed lightly "Thanks Dad" she said while Jasper came up behind her and handed her a glass of champagne while he held a glass of blood in his hand.

She quietly thanked him as she took an awkward sip of her drink. Charlie watched as she leaned into Jasper, he wanted to be mad at it but he liked him.

He had reservations at first after Edward but he liked Jasper, as much as he could anyway. He still wanted to kill him whenever he smelt like his daughter but he knew he was good for Bella and Bella was good for him. He liked him much more than Edward, that's for sure.

Though the current smell coming from him and Bella didn't exactly win them any favors. Janice smelling the same thing as him gave his arm a squeeze, trying to center him.

He tried hard to let it go, especially seeing as he had learned the hard way that he couldn't beat Jasper in a fight even with him being a newborn. Something that impressed him but also irked him something awful.

He missed the days when he could scare the likes of Mike Newton away, ever since the Cullens entered his life he had been utterly powerless. Now knowing everything it made him wish to cry and rage in equal measures.

Charlie had felt like a failure of a father, he had been useless at protecting Bella, if she had stayed with her mom she would probably be going to Colledge now, living a normal life.

A part of him wanted that more than anything, but then he wouldn't have the woman in his arms and Bella wouldn't have Jasper.

Before he could continue to spiral people approached them. Three blonds followed behind Esme, a dark haired couple with them as well.

"Bella, Charlie, may I introduce you to the Denali Coven. The leader Tanya, her sisters Irene and Kate, and Eleazar and Carmen" Esme introduced them politely.

He nodded to them in greeting but he didn't like the way Irene was looking at Bella "Nice to meet you" he said gruffly. Keeping a close eye on the one who wouldn't take her eyes off his daughter.

He had heard often enough that the vegetarians struggle with hunger so he didn't trust that the woman wouldn't attack Bella.

~~~~~~~~

When Lia and her mates entered the ball everyone went silent for a moment before slowly turning back to their conversations. Lia refused to let the tension get to her and simply took Caius's arm as he led her towards a group of vampires, Ara and Marcus following behind them.

She didn't worry about her safety while with her mates, especially Caius who had one hell of a reputation.

"Come Gioia Mia, meet the French coven, this is Adela, the coven leader" Caius said in way of introduction, she could tell by his tone that he held respect for this coven.

Lia smiled as the rather tall woman with auburn hair turned to her, bowing her head in respect "Hello my Kings, My queen. It is so good to meet you, I have never seen the King's so at peace" she said, her voice low and alluring but friendly as she smiled down at her.

Lia's smile grew on her face but before she could say anything Caius spoke with an underlying warning in his voice "Do not be so forward" he said lowly.

Adela blanched and went to say something but Lia placed a hand on Caius's chest "She wasn't being forward Caius, she was being kind. Unless you would like to imply my presence brings you something besides joy" she said pointedly making him blanch.

Adela had a small amused smirk on her face at seeing the most rash of the kings tamed so quickly "My you really are something, come let me introduce you to my coven mates" she said before motioning to five others who came forward.

Adela motioned to a couple, one a beautiful slim woman with blond hair and the other a man of average height with brown hair that went to his shoulders. "This is Yvette, she was the first vampire I turned and the first to join my coven, and this is her mate Henrik. And this is Sansan, my partner" she said motioning to the couple who offered both her and the king's bows of respect and the rather short man who followed behind them with blonde hair cut short, he didn't seem like much but he walked with a confidence that wasn't faked.

Adela then motioned to a tall olive skinned man and another younger man who couldn't be older than 20 when he was turned "And this is Dion and Henry. Henry is our newest coven member but his control is quite admirable" she said pointedly towards the two men.

Lia nodded to them, not offering either vampires her hand. She knew her mates would not appreciate it.

"It is nice to meet you, My queen" the youngest one, Henry, said timidly. Looking towards his coven leader for reassurance that he was doing alright.

"Likewise, So tell me, is losing the ability to sleep and eat as bad as I predict it will be?" Lia asked lightheartedly, hoping to lift the mood slightly. She could see Marcus and Aro speaking with Yvette and Henrik from the corner of her eye while Caius has stayed attached to her side.

Henry grimaced "So much worse! Especially for me, I loved to eat! My gift is practically useless now!" he said, loosening up quite a bit.

She raised an eyebrow in interest "Oh, what's your gift?" she asked, she pointedly ignored the small groan from Caius as he mumbled something that sounded a bit too much like 'not you to' into her hair.

Henry looked a bit sheepish "It's nothing special, especially considering the likes of your guard. Honestly it's almost humerus in nature. I can turn any matter into cheese" he said, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly.

Lia's eyes widened before she looked at him doubtfully "I have to see this" she said with a small grin growing on her face.

Henry's eyes widened before he looked around for something, he sped away but was back in a matter of seconds with an empty champagne flute. He narrowed his eyes at the metal and before her eyes she watched as it changed colors.

He presented her with the glass and she picked it up with a look of amused astonishment, she sniffed it and took a nibble "I'll be damned, okay that's awesome. Can you make different types of cheese?" she asked, getting excited.

Caius on the other hand was hiding a snicker at Aro's put out expression, the second he had heard about a gift he had gotten excited only to now be pointedly looking away from them.