Chapter 23

3rd person

It took about an hour until Caius came back to the living room.

He wasn't happy but he was satisfied enough to know the wolves weren't an immediate threat.

At least not unless they feed in town which shouldn't be too difficult.

Unlike the Cullen's the Volturi coven could go weeks without feeding, the kings especially could go months with their advanced control and age.

They had fed shortly before they left Voltera, there would be no need to feed during this trip.

At the very least Caius was willing to put the problem of the wolves off until another day.

The fact it was a bloodline trait of an entire civilization of people did make the situation more complicated.

There was no true way to make sure the gene didn't resurface.

With each new generation that leaves the tribe, the gene gets spread throughout human society.

He would need to discuss the issue with his brothers but even Caius was able to understand the best solution was to leave the area alone so the tribe will continue to keep track of themselves.

Though now they would be keeping tabs on the tribe themselves, they may also need to have a meeting with the tribal leaders.

Maybe the Volturi could make it law to leave the area alone? There are plenty of other territories in America. Possibly set up a base in Seattle, this would probably please their mate since it would be closer to her human family. Caius would definitely need to discuss this with his brothers upon his return to Volterra.

For now he would leave the Cullen's with a firm warning and get his Mate back under the protection of the coven.

~~~~~~~

Bella stayed with the Cullen's when her cousin and the Volturi left.

She had some things to discuss with Edward, she wanted to get back together but Lia had been right, she needed to stand up for herself and not take less than what she's worth.

Edward led her out on a path so they could talk privately.

She didn't like how much it reminded her of when he left. If things ended similarly she wouldn't chase him this time, she had done that once and she knew what it got her. If he wanted her he would need to compromise.

Edward was brooding, he could tell something had changed between them but he was so distracted by her scent he couldn't think straight.

He could never think straight around her, this must be what it felt like to have a mate, this unquenchable thirst to be around her.

When he lead her to a small clearing he could tell she was about to say something he wouldn't appreciate so he started speaking before she could.

"How did Caius learn about the wolves?" He asked as he looked down at her.

Bella couldn't help but feel like it was an accusation by the way he was looking at her.

She shrugged "How am I supposed to know? It's not like I've been having conversations with Caius" She said as she crossed her arms and turned away from him.

Edward rolled his eyes "Well then how did Caius find out about them? Did you mention something to your cousin?"

Bella looked at him incredulously but he just ignored it.