46 - Thinking Will Not Overcome Fear

In the heart of Narukami Island, the air is heavy, filled with rain and thunder.

At the majestic estate of Tenshukaku that belongs to the most honored bloodline of Inazuma, life had changed quite dramatically after Kunikuzushi left Inazuma four years ago. Or that's at least the last time the family had seen him.

In front of the doors of the main building, stood Raiden Shogun. Her posture was unwavering, a testament to the rigorous training she had received during those four years.

She turned around to face towards the land of Narukami Island, her gaze watching the faded horizon over the walls of Tenshukaku.

It took her mind back to her childhood when she used to be curious to know what's behind those walls, but now she had grown up and matured to know that the world outside would be dangerous.

Everything had to be taken with care and consideration.

Her stern expression faltered slightly as she thought about her big brother Kunikuzushi, glancing away from the scenery in front of her until completely turning herself back towards the doors.

After a short moment of silence, she spoke quietly...

"This is the longest time you've ever been out of home, Kuni... without any contact. I've been waiting and waiting but you never came back, nor did you ever respond to my letters... You abandoned us again, didn't you?" Shogun looked down, a frown forming on her face.

Little did she know that those letters that she had attempted to send to her brother, all of them got tampered by Yae Miko due to Kunikuzushi's own request when he had left his final letter to the kitsune four years ago.

"...Or did you forget about us?" Shogun continued, her eyes empty as she stood silent again for a moment but soon she heard rather hurried footsteps coming up the stairs behind her.

"Ugh- This rain really won't stop today, will it? My poor fur is dripping wet!" Complained the familiar voice that belonged to none other than the head shrine maiden Yae Miko, who was still looking after the family and making sure that Ei wouldn't do anything stupid.

Shogun straightened her posture and the frown disappeared from her face as she slightly turned around to look at the kitsune youkai.

Yae Miko had been in Shogun's assistance as the two had done some work regarding the Shogunate.

"Why are you still outside, Shogun? Come on now, let's get inside before one of us catches a cold." Yae Miko spoke as she noticed that the young woman was still outside, hurrying next to her to open the doors of the main building.

When the two got inside the main building, Miko hurried to the kitchen to prepare some dinner for the family meanwhile Shogun proceeded to walk to her room, passing by her mother's room along the way.

She stopped next to the door of her mother's room and glanced towards it.

The hallway was silent, nothing came from Ei's room, not even footsteps. It was... peaceful.

Shogun knew that her mother had locked herself into her room again, to meditate and be in her Plane of Euthymia, but nowadays her meditation was... longer.

Ei cared about Kunikuzushi just like any other mother would care for her children, but she didn't know any better way to deal with her thoughts and emotions.

Shogun had to deal with her the way she was and only hope that she would get eventually better.

-

...

......

"I will come back, I promise."

"Monsters are causing havoc all across Inazuma..."