31 - Soldiers

A week had passed since Xiao gave Kunikuzushi the hairpin.

The Adeptus teleported close to Cuijue Slope, on the left side of Luhua Pool.

He looked around, soon starting to run towards the area where a small underground cave was located. He saw the opening to the cave and soon went in.

As he got deeper, he looked around with a focused frown.

The area was empty, only hot Pyro energy filling the whole cave. Though, the only figure that caught Xiao's attention was the familiar female with that red wavy hair and red clothes

He walked towards her, a relaxed look now in his eyes.

She was meditating in the middle of the cave, sitting on the stony floor.

Once Xiao got near her enough, she raised her head slightly, keeping her eyes closed.

"I sense the presence of... Alatus!" Indarias announced and soon opened her eyes with a surprised look on her face as she turned her gaze towards the Anemo Yaksha and gave him a smile.

Though, her smile soon disappeared as she figured out why Xiao came and then she remembered something.

Xiao watched the Pyro Yaksha stand up and turn towards him with a worried frown. He noticed the change in her mood and gave her a frown as well.

"How are things with others?" Xiao asked with slight fear deep inside him.

Indarias looked down, holding her hands together. "Well... Bosacius went to the Chasm, apparently there was some kind of a situation going on." She started and turned to look at Xiao.

"There has been some arguing between Bonanus and Menogias too..." She continued, remembering how she had seen the Hydro Yaksha shout at the Geo Yaksha out of anger a while ago.

Xiao was confused. Bonanus knew how to control her anger and tolerate things, and she was almost never angry. What had made her blow up like that out of the sudden?

Indarias put her hands on her head, lowering her gaze like she was trying to hold in tears which failed horribly.

"The group is breaking apart! Our karmic binds are starting to choke us to death! I can't take this anymore!" She teared up.

Xiao looked at Indarias with slight shock, though he understood that Indarias was lighthearted and confident. She was very strong with her powers, but her personality just wasn't the rightest for constant slaughter.

Xiao didn't know how to react. He stood there, confused, as he watched the Pyro Yaksha sob.

After a moment, he raised his chin and took out his jade spear, slamming it against the stony floor.

"General Musatas!" Xiao shouted, catching her attention.

Indarias raised her head, lowering her hands and looking at the Anemo Yaksha.

"You are strong, very strong! You've gone this far and I'm proud of you for that! Our Lord Rex Lapis is proud of you too!" Xiao announced as he looked at her with a strong gaze, trying to brighten up the Pyro Yaksha's mood by encouraging her.

After a moment of silence, Indarias nodded and straightened her back.

"Yes, General Alatus! I'm a strong yaksha who signed a contract to protect Liyue with her life!" She responded confidently.

Xiao smiled slightly, feeling proud of her for getting over her breakdown.

Little did he know that a yaksha with a pure heart like hers would eventually succumb to madness in this realm of constant slaughter and death...

-

After their little meeting had ended, Xiao returned to Cuijue Slope.

He looked at the lands, feeling worried.

It was... a different kind of worry. It was... fear, that was deep inside him. Fear for his friends.

He didn't know what to do.

Everyone seemed to be doing their own stuff at the moment.

He felt helpless.

Soon, a stinging pain filled his chest.

He gritted his teeth from the pain and pushed his hand against his chest as he fell on his knee to support his balance.

He took a few deep breaths as he supported his balance with his jade spear.

He felt the karmic debt corrupting his body for a moment. It was painful, scary and awful... but he managed to bear it.

After a moment of instant pain, it all faded away.

Xiao's grip on his jade spear loosened and he fell on the ground.

He breathed heavily for a moment before using his strength to pull himself back up.

The Adeptus let out a slight 'tsk' as he stood up and looked around, holding his head slightly.

He had noticed the change in his karmic debt. It was getting stronger...

Was this also how his friends were feeling? Was this the reason why Bonanus had lost her temper? Was it because of these karmic binds? Was the karmic debt finally starting to corrupt them?

Xiao couldn't answer to those questions... not yet.

He then proceeded to go back to his duties as the Vigilant Yaksha, to kill all kinds of mutations and monsters for now.

He couldn't let this stop him from fulfilling his duty. Not when there were still monsters roaming around the lands of Liyue.