41 - I Hate Saying Goodbye

Kunikuzushi had escaped to the balcony once more, looking at the view in front of him while feeling... quite puzzled.

Soon light footsteps approached him from behind and before he could even care, Xiao was standing beside him, looking at the view as well.

There was a small moment of silence between the two but before Xiao could open his mouth, Kunikuzushi broke the silence first.

"I'm done with this 'vacation'. I thought I wouldn't say this while having a break but... I wish to get back to work." The wanderer spoke as he kept his gaze towards the view.

Xiao looked at Kunikuzushi, understanding how the other was feeling.

"Is it because you want to be able to focus on to something else at the moment?" The Adeptus asked, crossing his arms and turning his gaze towards the view once more.

Kunikuzushi looked down, lightly chuckling before giving a small smile. He leaned his head on Xiao's shoulder, still being a bit careful as he was still feeling low.

"Yes... and I'll have to return to the Harbor soon anyway to see my friend Dottore, as he promised to take me back to Snezhnaya himself." Kunikuzushi spoke quietly, taking a deep breath before he continued.

"I might be gone for a bit after that again. I'll try to visit though, and if I get the chance, I'll call out to you?" The wanderer said and glanced towards Xiao with a hopeful smile.

The Adeptus looked down towards Kunikuzushi whose head was leaning against his shoulder. He nodded understandingly and looked towards the view in front of him.

"Yes. I will protect you, no matter where and when, if you call out my name, I will come to you." Xiao answered, shaking his head as he had a serious look on his face now.

He would also have to get back to his duty, he had been out of it for a while now, feeling that it'd be unfair for his teammates that he spent this much time with the wanderer.

"I must get back to my duty as well, I have to check up on the other yakshas." Xiao said as the breeze ran through his hair.

He hadn't heard about his friends for a while, which was understandable but remembering the suspicious situation among the yakshas only grew his worry for his friends even more.

Kunikuzushi nodded slightly, closing his eyes as he enjoyed the moment. He understood that Xiao had his duty as well, so he made a mental note to not disturb him too much.

"If only things didn't have to turn out this way, I would've enjoyed staying here for longer but... things are getting too overwhelming for me right now." The wanderer sighed before intertwining their fingers, giving the yaksha's hand a gentle squeeze.

Kunikuzushi would miss having Xiao by his side, but he would just have to power through it, there was always a next time after all.

After a moment of enjoying Kunikuzushi's presence while his hand was intertwined with his, the Adeptus turned himself to fully face the wanderer and he had a slight worry in his eyes as he looked at the other straight into his eyes.

Xiao didn't feel any other presences nearby, so he had the courage he needed.

He leaned closer and placed a gentle kiss on the wanderer's lips as a goodbye, gently putting his free hand on Kunikuzushi's cheek. It was a quick kiss but a meaningful one.

The wanderer was slightly taken with surprise as he was pulled into a swift, yet sweet kiss.

Xiao then proceeded to pull away and look deep into the wanderer's eyes while a small but warm smile formed on his lips. He didn't say anything, but his actions spoke enough.