Chapter 32

Trigger Warning: Use of homophobic slur

Aaron's POV 

Winter break couldn't have come any sooner. I'm so glad I don't have to talk to anyone, socialize, or do any of the shit I have to do during school for the next 2 weeks. I'm not going anywhere though, but that's fine. We're not really close to the rest of the family, so we don't really have anywhere else to go.

We're not close to the rest of the family mostly because of the fact that the family blames my mom for my father leaving, which is complete bullshit. It's so untrue it's crazy. My mom was not doing anything wrong in the relationship as far as I know, and my dad just left for no reason. We're better without him in my opinion though.

I finally decide to get out of bed at 11:00 AM, two days before Christmas day. I go in my bathroom and look at myself, grimacing at who I see in the mirror. I look like I shell of myself. 

My hair is going in all kinds of directions, the bags under my eyes are pretty obvious and dark, my skin looks super pale and I just look sick as hell. I would never let myself go to school looking like this. 

Jason is coming over for Christmas dinner, which I'm cool with. He's practically family anyways, my mom adores him. I still like him a lot, he's still a 10/10, but I don't think I can really get in another relationship with an ex right now. My mental health has to come first right now. I need to get over Cameron at some point.

Devin is also coming over, which I'm cool with. I've talked to him more and more over the last couple weeks because he's the only one that I can really turn to right now. He was right there when all of it went down, and he feels really bad. I'm glad he's coming over for probably most of winter break as a whole, which makes sense. He is pretty much a lock to become a part of the family. Him and Alicia are perfect together, I would be baffled if they broke up. They're practically married already.

I take a shower, which I'm hoping will help me wake up. I also needed a complete reset for the way my hair looks right now, so a shower will help with that. I just need to blow dry it the right way as well, that might be a hassle. Usually when I get out of the shower, my skin looks really good, my face is glowing and everything. I have to just hope that it looks alright when I get out of the shower.

As I get out of the shower, I grab a towel, dry my hair a bit, dry my body and look in the mirror, my skin still looking like a ghost. I shake my head and get dressed. It's been multiple weeks since all of that shit went down, I should not still be this caught up on him. If he never cared about me, why should I give a shit?

I blow dry my hair into something decent, so that's alright. I go back into my room and sit down on my bed, hanging my head down between my shoulders. I wonder if being tired is something that comes with being depressed. It would make sense for me.

I get out of my room finally, and Devin and Alicia are downstairs watching a movie, cuddling with each other underneath a blanket. I look at them and what they have with each other and wish I could have that with someone. I had that with Jason, but I want that with another person. 

"Good morning," Alicia greets me and I try my best to smile at her.

"Good morning," I reply.

"You okay?" she asks.

I laugh. "No. I'm not, but it's fine. I'll thug it out."

"That's not a great idea, Aaron. You should be happy," she says, sitting up on the couch.

"I know, but it's not like I'm actively not trying to be happy. Happiness will come to me randomly, kind of like how you were sad before Devin," I point at him and he grins.