Prologue

3rd Person

Cameron Patterson and Aaron Williams have hated each other for as long as they've been starting on the football team together. They have to share the backfield, standing right next to each other during most of the game. Aaron takes handoffs from Cameron, Aaron sometimes stays behind to block for Cameron on pass plays.

They should get along, because as teammates they should agree that they are playing for something more than them, but they continue to hate each other. They should agree on things like playcalls, who should start, and various things that teammates do that is standard. Yet they hate each other with a fiery passion. As a team, all the members of the team should agree that they are all playing for something bigger than them, and that should create a sense of unity on the team, but Cameron and Aaron do not see that.

"Holy SHIT," screamed Cameron. "Go faster."

"Shut the hell up asswipe. I'll go whatever speed feels good for me."

"I don't love this speed and I think you should go faster," Cameron complained.

"You aren't a runningback so you can't lecture me on how fast I should be running," replied Aaron. He was now glaring at Cameron.

"I can't believe coach is starting you now, you're straight ass cheeks."

"You're worse than our third string quarterback, Cam."

Cameron shoved Aaron and Aaron shoved him back. The coaches ran out to where Cam and Aaron were running drills to stop the fighting, and they eventually did, but they did receive some minor punishments. Nothing major, just threats to be kicked off the team, that both of them knew were bluffs. 90% of the time, the most punishment they received for their arguments was a finger wag, nothing that could really scare them. If one of them lost their starting job, then they would try to stop their conflicts, but that never happened. 

"Both of you need to stop this right now. I can bench both of you if I really feel like that is the correct punishment," ordered Coach Payton. He was a nice coach but he could be strict when he felt that the team was not behaving appropriately. Unfortunately, this threat didn't work unless he actually went through with it, which Cam and Aaron knew would never happen. 

"Sorry, coach," both of them said, still glaring daggers at each other while being held back by teammates. This was the first practice of their junior years, now over a year ago. This should've been a preview for what was to come for the rest of the year. There were minor conflicts sprinkled throughout games, throughout practices, but nothing serious. Still, the lack of real punishments being handed out enabled them to continue to argue all the time.

They still hate each other, but now two players that were essentially keeping the peace had left. Jason, the team's starting linebacker and arguably best player on the team left to go to college. He got seriously injured after getting hit by a car. Aaron was super sad about it because he and Jason were extremely close friends, and the whole team was absolutely shocked when they heard the news. 

The other teammate that was keeping the peace was Frank. He left to play football at Cal Berkeley after his senior year. By the end of his high school career, he stopped starting because he had already accepted the offer to Berkeley before the year ended, so he was trying to prevent himself from getting a massive injury. Aaron started instead of Frank, much to Cameron's dismay. They absolutely hated each other once Aaron started, their playstyles getting in each other's ways. 

Frank was Cameron's mentor for years, telling him what to do with the ball, and Frank was loved by absolutely every single member of the team. When he stopped starting games and Jason stopped playing in games completely, the team began to become dysfunctional. Cameron hated that Aaron was starting instead of Frank, Aaron hated that Cameron had such an inflated ego and absolutely no respect for anyone outside of the team.