Chapter 24

Cameron's POV

The realization that I want me and Aaron to be an actual couple kind of made my head spin. I've never thought about dudes like that. Never. But suddenly, this guy that I hated for years has turned my life upside down in a mostly good way and has made me super gay for him. He's so fucking hot and I have no other choice but to just want to be with him forever. 

As I'm driving home, I'm also thinking about the fact that Aaron probably does not share those feelings with me. He was hurt by Jason, so he probably has trust issues. He probably hasn't thought about this relationship the way I have been for the last hour. 

I park my car and rest my forehead on the steering wheel for a moment, not extremely excited to be questioned by my family about why I didn't come home for dinner. We have school tomorrow also, so my life is kind of in a bad place right now. I feel like such a fool to just fall for my friend with benefits. It's not a good thing, especially since we hated each other forever.

I finally decide I need to leave my car and I go inside, and my family is eating dinner.

"Nice of you to finally join us," my dad says sarcastically. That bitch.

"Sorry, I was having dinner at a friend's house," I respond.

"That's fine. What friend?" my mom asks.

"I went to Devin's house with Adrian and we ate dinner with his family."

"That sounds fun. Why didn't you tell us?" my dad asks, putting his wine glass down.

"I wasn't planning to have dinner there, but Devin's parents insisted on it, and I decided that I would stay and have dinner with them," I reply.

"Well now that you're here, you can stay for the rest of the time we're eating dinner, right?" my dad asks, and I have no choice but to stay there, whether or not I want to.

"Yeah sure," I say, feigning cheeriness. I was anything but excited to be sitting down with my monarchy family. If you think about it, my father's company is his kingdom, and it really is a monarchy because he inherited it from his father and his father before him. 

I sit down at my spot at the giant dining room table and my dad turns to me. "So, Cameron. What did you learn from the slideshow I showed you earlier today? What were the key things I wanted you to remember?"

"People, process, and technology," I rattle off. I wasn't listening, but I don't listen in school either. I have some kind of power that allows me to remember things I've never even really learned. 

"Good. What were the other two things I'll talk more to you about later?"

"Marketing and finance," I answer. Again, I did not listen but I just know. 

"Very good. See, you're already ready to run the company," he says and I clench my jaw.

"Yup," I say, pretending to agree with him. I'll probably be out of here right after high school, I will not stay here if I get into UCLA even though it's so close. I'll probably move into the dorms. I would much rather get the actual college experience than what Jared is doing. I'm surprised our parents don't care that much, because they put so much pressure on him to be what my father wants him to be, and he failed them.

I wait for the rest of them to finish their food, excuse myself, and go upstairs to my room. Despite taking a decently long nap, I was still tired, so I decided to get into my bed and just look at the ceiling. All I can think about is a certain dark haired boy that I am slowly falling in love with, whether he knows or doesn't. I want him, not just in the sexual way, but I want to feel real romance.