Chapter 1

A/N: Please!!! Please stick through this one chapter of football shit. Next chapter is fun, just stick through this first chapter, even if it is boring for you.

Cameron's POV

My name is Cameron Patterson. I am the star quarterback for Bryant High School, and I am a senior in high school. This will be the third year in a row that I am starting for the team, starting in my sophomore year. Our team has gone nearly undefeated since I got the starting job, but we have not been able to produce in the playoffs, and this is my final chance to do it. Tonight is the season opener, and I am excited to get back on the field under the bright lights and play my heart out. Playing football has always brought out the best, but also the most heated, in me. Sometimes I go crazy and play my best and ball the fuck out, and other times I get frustrated and one time even getting in a fight.

I am driving to pick up my friends, Devin and Adrian, so we can go to the game together. We have been best friends for the last 3 years, and ever since I got my license, I have been driving them to games, because carpooling through Los Angeles is better than individual cars. The traffic situation is just too hairy. 

I pull up next to Devin's house and he runs out quickly. He gets in and daps me up. Devin is dating Aaron's sister, Alicia. I've hung around Alicia a few times and she is very fun to be around. She's funny, chill, and has a much better attitude than Aaron. That's not saying much though, Aaron does not have a good attitude.

I feel like I must mention that I did kind of sell in the playoffs last season. I threw so many interceptions that I can't even remember how many I threw. Aaron getting pissed at me was valid, but I don't think he should've gotten that mad.

"What's up Dev, ready for the game?" I ask.

"Yup, we finally get to play again," he says with a sigh.

We drive to Adrian's house and he too runs out of his house with a grin. Adrian's always been a pretty happy person. I've admired how happy he has been able to stay despite not really having anyone in his life that he can really talk to openly. He's never been in a relationship with a girl, which I know can weigh you down and make you sad, but he's done a great job at being resilient, or at least pretending to be resilient.

That's something I wish I could do. Just be a beam of sunlight in other people's days, instead of a guy that's an ass sometimes and other times asleep.

"Hey guys, let's get this dub," he says while dapping the two of us up.

"Yessir," Devin says, clapping to get himself hyped.

The game is starting in two hours, but we like to have time to warm up, and LA traffic is bad that we allow for extra time. We arrive to the game at the same time that Aaron and his carpool arrives.

DeShaun drives him and Derek to games because he has a really nice car with crazy good subwoofers, so the music in there is blasting all the time. Whenever we get to games at the same time, I can always hear the sounds of Travis Scott's music just blasting hella loud from his car. I don't think it's the best idea to be blasting music out of your car, you should stay focused on the road. Music is fine, but when it's rattling the car, then it's gone too far.

I walk over to the three of them, Aaron, DeShaun, and Derek, and greet DeShaun and Derek while ignoring Aaron. It's better for the two of us to just not talk than it is to continue to argue between the two of us. We just have to stay out of each other's ways and hope we can still coexist. That hasn't really been working though, we still fight in practice sometimes. 

"Hey DeShaun, hey Derek," I say while dapping them up. We all walk towards the field together. This 6 person group is the heart and soul of the team, no matter how split the team is. The 6 of us are the best players on the team by a mile, not to say that the rest of the team is bad, but they are just not as good as us. The defense is undoubtedly less split than us because there's no two people on defense that particularly dislike each other, so they play as a whole squad instead of two teams that are trying to do better than one. Our offense is kind of like Fifth Harmony in the fact that all of us are trying to get our day in the sun, and we aren't playing like a team. We're all just doing our own bullshit.