Chapter 8

Aaron's POV

"Cam, we're partners for the science project."

Saying this sentence is not something I wanted to do. Spending time with Cameron Patterson without the blockade of teammates has been something I don't really want to have to think about more, but he is really smart, so that might benefit me. Without teammates, anything could happen, and not that I'm totally complaining about that fact, but the more I do it the more I get addicted and the harder it is to stop. 

Cam turns around, his blue eyes piercing me, "That's great," he sighs, putting on a fake smile. I roll my eyes at him and glare at him back.

"Listen, I didn't get to choose who my partner was, and I'm just as upset about the fact that we have to be partners, but we have to actually work together instead of just arguing. Then we'll actually get this stupid shit done."

"Okay, sure."

"Cool, I guess you can come over to my house, unless you're house is better for us to work at," I say, and he shrugs.

"It doesn't really matter to me. As long as we get the project done, I won't complain."

"Alright, I guess I, as the respectful one, will allow you to come in my house to work."

"I'm so excited," he says sarcastically. I flip him off as he walks to the parking lot. He's such a dick, but goddamn he's attractive I can't even lie. 

I go back to talk to everyone in the locker room. I sit down next to Kai and Jax and dap them up. The two of them are great for the moral of the team. Today's practice definitely showed that because there was no arguing between any of us, most surprisingly the complete neutrality of me and Cam, mostly because Kai and Jax were making everyone laugh. Even Coach Payton was laughing at Kai and Jax, and he never laughs about anything.

"Y'all are really good at football, have you played in state championships?" I ask.

"We would if our quarterback was as good as Cam," says Jax, slapping Kai's arm. "Our old quarterback was ass, it was a blessing we moved here because we would not have a damn chance if we stayed there."

I scoff at that statement. "Your quarterback must've been shit if you really think Cam is good. He's honestly pretty mid. You should've seen how terribly he played in the playoffs last year. I bet your old quarterback never threw 5 interceptions in a game."

"He threw 7 interceptions in a playoff game," says Jax, gritting his teeth. "It was a total dumpster fire. The crazy thing is that they were all blatantly his fault, but he kept blaming Kai even though the passes were always short or way to high for him."

"Yeah, I've never seen a worse game played by any quarterback, college, high school, or the NFL, in my entire life. It was absolutely atrocious," adds Kai.

"So, comparably, Cam looks like a good quarterback to you guys. That just means you never played with a really talented quarterback." At this point, a lot of what I am saying is a lie. I know full well that Cameron is good, and he can't really be judged by one bad game, we all have off games, including me. 

"He was absolute ass cheeks, but Cam is legitimately really good. I'd be surprised if we don't win the state championship, we have a really complete team," Jax answers.

"Don't say shit like that, you'll jinx our chances at actually winning," scolds Kai, hitting Jax on the arm. 

I was still tryna figure out their deal, because they were clearly best friends, but at the same time they seemed like they were closer than just friends.

"I feel stupid asking this, but you two aren't like, together, right?" I ask, stumbling through the entire sentence, not really wanting to say anything about it. My self control always fails me.