Nice, but Definitely Not Liam

Start from the beginning

  As soon as my skates were laced, I rushed to the skate floor. I never wobbled once. It was like I’d just skated yesterday, not ten years ago. I smiled as I passed a newer portion of wood. That was the dip of rotting wood everyone either avoided or skated across on dares, usually falling flat on their face in the process. But it was fixed, now, which was a relief, but it also made me a little sad.

  A minute later, Kyle had caught up with me. “You took off in a hurry. One might think you’re tryin’ to get rid of me.”

  I shrugged. “You’re gonna hafta keep up with me better. I’m a fast skater.”

  “Maybe. But can you do this?” Kyle flipped around and started skating backwards.

  I started laughing. “Oh my God, you suck so bad! I’ve always wanted to do that!”

  His turn was coming up, so he turned back around to skate forward. “Haha, missy. Now I’ve got the upper hand.”

  “Hmm. But how well can you take your turns?” I sped up so I could catch the curve, cross skating perfectly. I was so relieved I didn’t fall.

  “No!” Kyle laughed. “Okay, wait, how bout this?” He started doing some fancy footwork, involving spreading his legs out and then pulling them back in after making a full circle.

  “No, but I can do this!” I sped up to catch the other curve and squatted down to my knees, pulling one leg out so I could catch it. It was harder getting up, and I wobbled a bit, but I actually managed.

  “Whoa! You gotta teach me that!”

  We started going back and forth with our skating tricks. Kyle had surprised me a second time. First quoting possibly the best movie ever and now showing off mad skating skills. And I was surprised, I openly admitted that. Maybe I did underestimate him. Because for the first time in a long time…..I was having fun. And who would’ve thought it’d be with my best friend’s brother, Kreepy Kyle?

  I showing off, taking the turn way too sharp. My cross skating worked against me as the wheel to my left skate brushed against the wheel of my right. I gasped just before taking a head dive. I didn’t hurt myself or anything—well, besides my pride. I tried laughing it off, that way nobody would think I was hurt.

  To my surprise—third time in one night!—Kyle loomed over me, offering his hand. “That was quite the fall. You all right there?”

  “Fine,” I laughed, taking his hand and allowing him to pull me up.

  I don’t know if he meant to or not—he probably did—but Kyle pulled me up much too close to him. We just sort of stared at eachother for a minute. But then Kyle leaned down and kissed me. And I let him. Surprisingly, again, it wasn’t a gross tongue bath. It was kind of…well, nice. But I had no doubt in my mind that if I kissed him back, even a little, he wouldn’t hesitate.

  Then someone rammed into us, sending me back down on my butt, a little girl on top of me. I recognized her immediately, and I could tell by the huge grin on her face she recognized me, too.

  “Piper!” Madeline gasped. “I’m so sorry!”

  “You’re fine,” I grunted, helping her up. “I was the one standing in the middle of the rink. Sorry.”

  “You’re fine!” she assured.

  A second later, Aunt Kim joined the once fallen gang. She smiled at me, but it almost seemed sad. I could just hear the conversation when she got home tonight—“Oh, Liam, you wouldn’t believe who I saw tonight! Piper was at the skating rink; and she was with a boy!”