𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟕

We swim for a fair amount of time before we decide it's time to take a little break and head back to our camp.

The distance between the beach and the water is pretty significant depending on where you set up your towel.

We head over to the party where Kelce seems to be and grab some drinks from the cooler. "Rafe?" Jj offers, handing him a beer.

"I'm good, Jj. I'm not going to drink." Rafe refuses. "Your loss." Jj says, cracking the tab open.

"Mads?" Kiara offers to me.

"One beer won't hurt, I suppose." I say, thanking her for the beer. "Only one, though. I don't feel like puking tomorrow." I joke, taking a small sip.

"Me neither." Sarah adds, putting her arm around me. I laugh and poke her cheek. "Yo, John B!" Kelce says, ruffling his hair.——————————————————————————
"Hey, bro." John B answers, dabbing him up. I look at Sarah. "Hey, bro." I mouth, mocking her boyfriend. She laughs but covers her mouth so he doesn't notice.

What are those blue lights..?

I hear a car door slam and a cop appears to be making their way over to the hang out. "Shit, cops." I say, hiding the drinks.

It's Shoupe, the Kildare county sheriff. "Hey, y'all. I just came to check this is all a friendly environment." He says, tucking his hands in his pockets.

"Hey, Shoupe." Jj says, trying to resist the urge to roll his eyes.

"Jj." The sheriff says.

"I assume there isn't alcohol in that cooler." Sheriff Shoupe adds, knowing that a bunch of teenagers are probably up to no good.——————————————————————————
"No, sir." I assure, giving him a smile. "Madison Miller, we haven't bumped into each other for quite a while." He recalls.

"No, we haven't." I answer, keeping a smile on my face.

The sheriff isn't too fond of the cut, he's always waiting to find someone to blame them for.

"I know you're a good kid, got some hard-working parents." He comments. "Thank you." I reply.

"Alright, I'll take your word for it. Keep an eye on him, I don't think Mr Carrera would be too happy to bail him out." Shoupe reminds.

Kiara rolls her eyes, surprisingly having less self control than Jj.

Eventually, the sheriff leaves and we get back to talking. "I thought we were going to get arrested." I say, my blood finally flowing through my veins.——————————————————————————
"Yeah, good job." John B says, patting my shoulder.

Everyone takes their drinks and continues partying while I watch the cop car disappear into the traffic.

I don't want to think about disappointing my dad.

"Do you think he's going to come back?" Kiara asks, clearly nervous. "I don't know, he most likely won't."I say, mostly saying that to comfort her.

We continue partying for a while and eventually the sky starts to darken and fill with shining stars.

We all huddle around the campfire and we decide to play truth or dare with everybody.

"I'll go first! Kelce, truth or dare?" Sarah asks, patting her thighs to imitate a drumroll. "Dare." Kelce says.

"I dare you to scream: "I am the father of my brother's kid!" She laughs. "That's a good one!" John B laughs.——————————————————————————
Kelce follows through with the dare and sits back down.