ARK 5 Part 10

"... If I am not brave, I won't know that I can wear a beautiful uniform and sit in a bright classroom; If I am not brave, I won't know that I can eat enough and wear warm clothes, that I won't need to hold my shoes in my hands on rainy days, barefoot in the mud on my way home..."

".... If I am not brave, I won't know that my curiosity and surprise at everything, in the eyes of others, are the same as that of an ignorant bumpkin. My suntanned skin and calloused palms are dirty, for I used to work in the field..."

"... If I am not brave enough to say: I want to return home. I won't know that it's possible for me to be well-fed and stay warm; I won't know that strawberries aren't necessarily sweet; I won't know that marriage is about spending my life with the person that I love, unlike what Papa Chen told me: Marriage is about having a husband to provide food and clothes; Marriage is about having dowry money to provide education and house for my younger brother..."

"... I am very glad that I am brave. My bravery has let me know that the world is so vast; My knowledge is so shallow and I have only seen little of the world. I thought that I can be considered knowledgeable as long as I am literate; I thought that my life is already fulfilled as long as I can eat enough and wear warm clothes."

"I am very glad that I am brave. My bravery allows me to stand here and let me discover that there is a future for me, a future where I can live for myself."

————·————·————

Ye Wei was the most talked person in the school!

This time, it was not because she is the real eldest daughter of the Ye Family, but because of her essay "I am Not Brave"!

It was an extremely simple and common essay. Yet, perhaps, because Ye Wei herself spoke about it, a kind of magic was cast on them. They couldn't help but think about her speech over and over again. Even to the point that they printed it out and widely spread it among the students.

"I only heard that the family where Ye Wei was wrongly held is poor, but I didn't expect that they would be so downright poor that they could not even afford a meal?"

"Don't even mention a meal, she didn't have a pair of decent shoes and must walk barefoot when it rained."

"I am a bit embarrassed now. When I first saw Ye Wei, I just thought of how dark she is, of how she is so rude and ignorant. I really looked down on her upbringing..."

"Me too. Alas, I don't think she is as good as Ye Ying. Ye Ying is just the model lady from a prestigious family."

"But think about it, the days of Ye Ying's life in the Ye Family should have been Ye Wei's. Ye Ying has lived a good life these past years, but Ye Wei is the one enduring the misery that Ye Ying should have suffered in the first place. If Ye Wei was never switched at birth, she would be as good as Ye Ying."

"Are you not curious about the 'Papa Chen' in Ye Wei's mouth? He should be Ye Ying's real father, right? From what Ye Wei said, he attempted to use his daughter's dowry to buy a house for his son? That is so terrible, a patriarchal father! Is it Ye Wei's fault that she grew up crooked because of the environment she grew up in? Isn't it understandable that she grew up to be like this when she has a parasite brother like that?"

"Frankly, it has been hard for Ye Wei. To think she grew up in a place like that... If the Ye Family found out a little bit later, maybe Ye Wei would already get married and have children......"

"No wonder Ye Wei can use her life as a chip to push the Ye Family to take her back."

Jiang Fei abruptly spoke up. Zhang Yu glanced sideways at him. Jiang Fei was holding the printed-out version of 'I am Not Brave' in his hand. The essay was not long, approximately a thousand words, but it was wonderful enough.