the ultimatum

KHIONE

Once again, Khione wanted to rewind time. Back to a few weeks ago where none of this had happened, and Khione was none the wiser. Or maybe, she'd wake up back in Ba Sing Se, and this would have been a long, terrible dream.

But unfortunately, it was not a dream Khione could just wish away, so she stood by the table in the airship, listening to Su and Lin argue about their plan of attack.

"We come up from the valley, scale the side of the mountain and take them off guard," Lin suggested, pointing at the amp.

"That could work," Tonraq said.

"And give them the high ground? No, if their lava-bender spots us he'll melt the mountainside and us with it," Su pointed out, sounding frustrated.

"Wait, I got it!" Bolin started, ever the optimist. "I'll disguise myself as a lost hiker and once I'm in the temple, I'll distract the Red Lotus with my bird call," Bolin said confidently, before letting out a series of whistles and ear-splitting squawks. "That's when you all strike!"

"Bird calls? Really?" Mako said skeptically.

"Well I haven't noticed you offering any suggestions," Bolin shot back defensively.

"It doesn't matter."

Khione flinched at the defeat in her voice, the surety of it. Korra was staring out of the window, silent.

"None of these ideas will work. The second Zaheer realises we're up to something, he'll wipe out the airbenders."
"And Opal is one of those airbenders. Believe me, I understand what's at stake," Su said softly.

"Then I think you'll agree," Korra started, turning around. "The only plan that will work is for me to give myself over."

Immediately, everyone began to protest, but Khione couldn't talk, her voice seizing in her throat.

"I talked it over with Lord Zuko, and I've given it a lot of thought. I have to do this."
"You can't expect us to sit by and just let Zaheer take you," Asami said disbelievingly.

"The world has been out of balance for far too long. It needs the Air Nation back again. I can't let Zaheer destroy it and everyone we love. Help me save the airbenders. Then worry about saving me," Korra said, glancing at Khione, who had gone silent.

The adults exchanged glances, before nodding.

"We're with you Korra," Tonraq said, though he sounded defeated.

"I'll go radio Zaheer," Korra said.

"Let me come with you," Khione said quietly, and Korra paused, before nodding sadly.

Khione shut the door to the communications room as Korra spoke into the radio, talking to Zaheer. She watched Korra as she listened to Zaheer's request. Her eyes were drawn in determination, and she was tense, as if bracing for a blow. She was the bravest person Khione had ever known.

It was selfish, but sometimes, Khione wished she wasn't so brave.

At last, Korra put down the radio.

"We can find another way. I know we can find another way." The words were out of Khione's mouth before she knew it, so desperate it was startling.

Korra shook her head. "Khione, you know there's no other way. I'm the Avatar. This is my duty. I have to protect those people," She said fiercely, and Khione wanted to scream.

"And who protects you?"

Korra paused, looking at her with those sea blue eyes as if she had never, in her life, thought about that.
Because it wasn't fair. It wasn't fair that Korra had to make this sacrifice, again and again. Her entire life, she'd been the Avatar before she'd been a person. It was all anyone saw in her. The Avatar, not a human.