nothing is as it seems

KORRA

Khione was staring at her so intensely Korra thought she could've withered up on the spot. She'd practically dragged her back to Air Temple Island to get Tenzin to arrange a meeting with Chief Beifong. Korra noticed fleetingly that Khione smelt good, like the sea and roses, from the perfume Asami had given her. She couldn't help the uncomfortable, irritated feeling in her gut. It definitely wasn't jealousy. Khione might be friends with Asami, but their friendship wasn't even close to touching what she and Khione had, right?

"Korra!" 

She blinked rapidly.

"So you think Mr Sato manufactured those gloves for the equalists, then framed Cabbage Corp?" Tenzin asked, looking skeptical.

"That's a bold accusation. But what proof do you have?" Chief Beifong added.
"Well, I don't exactly have proof, but I know what I heard. Sato's up to something." Korra replied confidently.

Khione had been quiet ever since hearing what Korra had told them, looking at her indifferently.  She could never quite figure out what Khione was thinking. Korra felt like something was gnawing on her nerves as she waited for Khione to say something. Would Khione believe her?

"He has the means, and he has a motive." Beifong admitted begrudgingly, stealing back her attention.

"A motive? What is it?"

"Twelve years ago, the Agni Kai Triad robbed Sato's mansion. A firebender killed Sato's wife during the break in." Tenzin said, his face serious.

"That's terrible." Korra murmured softly.

"It was tragic. It's possible he's been harbouring anti-bending sentiment all this time." Tenzin said.

"Maybe we should look at Mr Sato a little more closely."

Korra hadn't been sure Khione would even come with her, but she stood quietly next to Korra at the entrance of the Sato mansion. 

They walked up the sprawling stairs, greeted by the surprised faces of their friends.

"Khione, Korra?" Asami stepped forward, her face clouded in confusion as Tenzin and Chief Beifong brushed past her, and towards her father's study.

"I overheard him on the phone yesterday. Asami, I don't know how to tell you this, but I think your father might be involved with the equalists." Korra ventured uneasily.

"What?"

Khione immediately caught Asami's elbow, tugging her to the side. Korra watched as Khione whispered something to her, her usually apathetic face drawn in worry. Asami scowled, glancing at Korra before shaking her head.

"I don't believe this." Asami relaxed slightly as Khione took her hand, leading her up the stairs. At the very last step, Khione turned around, giving Korra a very pointed look. Korra's heart dropped to the pit in her stomach.

"You spied on Hiroshi? What's your problem!"

Mako rounded on Korra, before following after Asami and Khione. Korra sighed, walking after him and into Hiroshi Sato's office.

"My father is innocent. Just because we're not benders doesn't mean that we're working with the equalists." Asami was scowling at Chief Beifong, looking absolutely livid.

"Equalists? Is that what this is all about? I can assure you, I have nothing to do with them," Mr Sato promised.

"Yeah, you don't know what you're talking about, Korra." Mako added.