the calm before the storm

Khione knew, in her heart, that Zaheer hadn't been bluffing. Whatever he planned to do with Korra, he was willing to destroy innocent lives and an entire culture if it meant getting his way.

"Zaheer's threatening innocent lives just to get to me," Korra said guiltily, and Khione slipped her hand into hers, trying to comfort her.

"He could be bluffing," Tonraq suggested hopefully.

Khione shook her head. "Zaheer killed the Earth Queen. He means it," Khione said gravely.

"We need to radio Tenzin and warn him that the Red Lotus is coming," Korra said.

"I agree," Mako said. "Unfortunately, we don't have a radio on the airship."
"There's a portable radio on the jeep, but the signal will never make it to the Northern Air Temple," Tonraq said.

Lin put her hands on her hips, scowling. "We need to get to a place that has a strong radio transmitter. The Metal Clan will have one."

"Let's go. We'll radio Su on the way. Hopefully, she can get a hold of Tenzin at the Air temple by the time we get to Zhaofu," Korra said, eyebrows drawn in worry.

They made it to Zhaofu in what felt like record time, exiting the airship to be greeted by Su. She took them to a radio room located in her mansion, a worried look plastered on her face the entire time.

"We have a strong signal, but no one's answering," The guard said, fiddling with the transmitter.

"I can't just sit around here while a madman is on his way to the Northern Air Temple. We have to do something," Korra said angrily.

"I'll ready my airship," Su said seriously, and Khione knew that she would be willing to do anything to protect her daughter. "With the full force of the Metal Clan security backing us, we can take them.

"We'll never make it up there before Zaheer," Mako said bitterly, once Su had left.

"There might be another way to stop them," Korra said, deep in thought. "It's a long shot, but Zaheer is always meditating in the Spirit World, and I know exactly where he goes: Xai Bau's grove. If I could find him there, maybe I could somehow trap him."

"We can't protect you in there. I don't like it," Lin said gruffly.

"To be honest, chief. You don't like much," Khione said dryly, ignoring the glare sent her way.

"I'll be fine. I have to try," Korra said, her tone final.

"I'll watch over her while she's in the Spirit World," Khione offered, and Korra smiled gratefully at her.

"I'll come too," Asami said.

"I guess in the meantime, Mako and I will stay here and try to get through to the temple," Bolin said, gesturing at his brother.

The girls headed outside, to one of the courtyards in Su's estate. Korra looked around, before choosing a shady spot by a large tree. They were on an artificial island, water running all around them. Khione felt at peace in this place too, hearing the soft trickling of the running water, and understood why Korra would've chosen it.

She sat down cross-legged, Khione and Asami sitting beside her. Korra closed her eyes, and took a deep breath.

They watched her in silence for a few minutes, until they were sure she was in the Spirit World.

"We really don't get a break, huh," Asami said, looking up at the sky. 

"No, we don't," Khione murmured, tugging at the silver necklace at her neck. It was a comforting action, playing with the little sapphire attached to it.