betrayal of a father

KHIONE

Considering everything that was happening, Khione thought she was handling everything well. It was Asami she was worried about. She would be absolutely devastated to know what her father had been doing behind her back.

"Let me tell her" Khione insisted as metal benders slammed open the doors to a richly decorated living room. Chief Beifong nodded curtly.

"What are you doing here?" Asami stood up defensively from behind a low table. A huge bowl of fruit sat on it, which Bolin had been eating from.

"Khione?" She added, looking betrayed to see her friend standing next to them.

"We think that there's a factory underneath the mansion," She told Asami flatly.

Her beautiful face contorted in anguish, and she shook her head.

"I would've known if there was a factory underneath my house," She turned to Chief Beifong.

"The lies you come up with, just to persecute my father."

"Where is your father?" Tenzin asked.

"In his workshop, behind the house," Asami replied reluctantly.

At Chief Beifong's request, she led them to her father's workshop, standing by as metal benders broke down the doors, scouting warily for movement.

"Dad?" Asami called, her face worried as the workshop appeared empty.

"Chief, the estate's been secured. No one has left the workshop since we arrived." An officer reported.

"Perhaps we just couldn't see them leaving."

Chief Beifong walked into the centre of the room, her hand clasped beneath her back. Then, she raised her foot, before slamming it against the ground, her eyes closed. A moment later; "There's a tunnel beneath the workshop, running deep into the mountainside."

"What? There's no tunnel." Asami insisted indignantly.

Beifong raised her eyebrow, before forcing a part of the metal floor to the side, revealing a deep tunnel, like a dark wound in the ground.

"Do you think your dad knows about this tunnel?" Bolin whispered unhelpfully, as Asami's face fell.

"I don't understand, there must be an explanation," Asami tried, her voice breaking.

Khione turned to Asami, taking her hand. Asami tensed, like she was going to pull away, before she curled in on herself.

"I'm sorry."
She tried to make her words as kind as she could, but Asami flinched, like hearing emotions from Khione had been even worse.

"Officers, into the tunnel. Be cautious," Beifong commanded. Her metal benders marched warily into the tunnel. Khione glanced at Asami, who looked absolutely shattered, then at Mako. She gave him a pointed glare, and he immediately understood, pulling Asami closer to him.

Then, she turned to Korra. Together, they descended into the depths.

The elevator-esque machine brought them down the tunnel slowly, shuddering and creaking. The only light they had was the blinding light fixed to the head of the machine, cloaking the rest of them in near darkness. Khione stood frozen next to Korra, trying to calm her racing mind. There was this racing fear in her, that rose the further down they travelled. A terrible thought flashed in her mind; she was walking to her grave.

The machine slammed to a stop, allowing them to walk down a metal corridor to the bright lights shining at the end of the walkway. All around them were huge wooden supports and smoothed stone walls.