rebirth

KHIONE

Asami's airship was more than luxurious, to say the least.

There were windows everywhere, framed by intricate metal designs, and they sat in a sunken meeting room, the floor carpeted soft blue. A huge map of the Earth Kingdom lay before them, scrawled with red X's and circles.

"As of now, these are the towns where we've gotten reports about airbenders. It looks like we can hit up most of them before we get to Ba Sing Se," Mako said, crossing his arms.

Korra looked at the map, her eyes alight with happiness.

"We're going to bring back the Air Nation back from the brink of extinction after nearly two hundred years," She said.

"And it's all because of you, Korra," Tenzin replied warmly.

...

"Avatar Korra! Oh, it's such an honour to have you come to our humble village." The mayor of the town was a short, stub of a man, dressed in traditional Earth Kingdom greens.

"Thanks," Korra said, and Khione could tell that it was nice to have someone finally seem excited to meet her.

"I hate to get down to business, but is the airbender here now?" Tenzin asked politely.

"Kuon and his family will be joining us shortly for a special dinner. Please, right this way," He said eagerly, leading them to a house decorated more lavishly than the rest. They followed him into a dining room, the long table already set.

"Fancy," Bolin whispered as a few serving women set bowls of rice and soup in front of each individual, before placing the rest of the dishes in the centre. Korra sat at the head of the table, opposite the mayor. Laid out before them were all kinds of traditional Earth Kingdom foods, tomato soup and rice, steaming baozi, thinly sliced duck meat presented with little purple flowers.

Khione rested her cane against her chair, politely folding her hands in her laps. She'd noticed, happily, that her appetite had more or less returned in the sweet, peaceful months following Harmonic Convergence.

"Kuon has been the talk of the town ever since he got his airbending; he's like a local celebrity," The mayor said excitedly.

"I just want to say it's an honour to meet a fellow airbender," Tenzin said, inclining his head.

"Oh, I still think of myself as a simple farmer. Who can airbend!" Kuon thrust out his arms, accidentally airbending a pie into Bolin's face.

"Oh, I'm so sorry! I still don't have any control," Kuon apologised profusely. Bolin waved him off, grinning as Pabu leapt onto his shoulder, licking his face. 

"No worries. I love pie. And so does Pabu!"

Pabu jumped onto the table, briefly stopping to allow Khione to scratch his cheeks, before carrying the pie tin off the table.

"Well, you're so much more than a farmer now. Harmonic Convergence changed everything. You represent the future of a culture that is being reborn. You're going to help us rebuild the Air Nation," Tenzin said, laying a hand on the table.

"I'm going to do what now?" Kuon frowned. "The only thing I'm planning to rebuild is my barn."

Tenzin blinked, like he hadn't expected to ever hear those words.

"But you must come with us to the Northern Air Temple," He insisted.

"Well I can't do that. I have a family and a farm." Kuon said firmly.

"Of course you can. This is of utmost importance. Your wife will understand," Tenzin leaned forward in his seat.

"Wait, what? No, I do not understand," His wife said, glancing at Kuon.