new airbenders

KHIONE

Despite having her own place to stay, Khione rather enjoyed living at Air Temple Island. She'd decided to stay for a while, since it would be much more convenient for her given the circumstances of the city. Although, she was starting to regret it now.

Ikki had decided to make it her personal mission to cling to Khione for as long as she could, and was currently sleeping in her bed while she read from her table. She looked over her shoulder at the sleeping girl, curled up in her blankets, and Khione couldn't help but feel a sense of protectiveness ripple over her. Some days, Ikki, Jinora, and even Meelo felt like her siblings, not that she would ever tell them she'd said that.

Ikki, she didn't mind. It was rather endearing actually.

What she did mind were people slamming open her doors and poking their heads in, all the time.

Such as now.

"Khione!" Bolin practically yelled, the slight crack in her shoji door telling him that it was okay to come in.

"Hey! People are trying to sleep in here!" Ikki rubbed her eyes indignantly, pouting.

"You'd better say sorry, Bolin," Khione said amusedly, before turning to him.

"Sorry, Ikki. Anyways, we have to go get Korra," Bolin stressed.

"Right now? She's meditating, I think, which is rare."

"Yup," He replied, popping the 'p'.

"Mako called. He needs us at Kyoshi bridge right now!"

Khione sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose before standing up. She ruffled Ikki's hair, poking her cheek.

"No going through my stuff, okay?" She said flatly, pointing a stern finger at the sleepy girl, who gave her an innocent grin.

"Of course not!" She said cheekily.

Khione raised an eyebrow, before letting Bolin hurry her out into the courtyard.

"Mako called!" Bolin said hurriedly. Korra and Tenzin had been meditating in a gazebo, the setting sun casting everything in molten gold.

"The cops found the new airbender guy, but when they tried to bring him in he ran away and climbed to the top of Kyoshi bridge and won't come down," Bolin said breathlessly, before realising how sombre the mood between the meditating pair had been. Khione gave them a small wave.

"Ooh, sorry. Did I interrupt an Avatar wisdom session?" Bolin apologised as Korra got up.

"Avatar wisdom's a thing of the past, Bolin," She said aloofly, patting him on the shoulder. "C'mon!"
Khione followed her, trying to match her long strides.

"Is that a good thing?"

"Depends who you ask!"

...

As they neared Kyoshi bridge, Khione's eyes narrowed in on a tiny speck, pressed against the coppery green of the bridge.

It was the new airbender, clearly frightened out of his mind.

Oogi landed, and they jumped out. Khione scowled from the saddle. It hadn't been her first time riding a sky bison, but the last time, she'd been saved from the embarrassment of attempting to climb down by being thrown to the ground.

Now, no such luck. It was simple things like this, like jumping down from Oogi, that Khione would never be able to do because of her leg brace. The thought flitted to the forefront of her mind before she brushed it away. There was no point in being bitter about her reality.