meet the family

KORRA

Eventually, with a lot of persuasion, they managed to convince Lin to come down into the city with them. They stood in front of a lowered arena, watching as two identical boys in dark green robes threw around a metal discus.

"These are my youngest, Wei and Wing. They're playing a game called 'power disc'. They invented it all on their own," Su said, a hint of pride touching her voice. They watched as the discus slammed into one of the metal nets, and one of the boys whooped loudly.

"Oh, nice power, Wei," She called out. "I'm so proud of those two," She added, smiling at her twins. Korra smiled back. She'd only met Su for a few hours, but she was liked her a lot. 

They continued walking, taking in the beautiful surroundings, before stopping in a courtyard, with crumbling marble pillars.

Metal sculptures dotted the courtyard, all twisted and abstract.

"Huan, I want you to meet the Avatar and her friends, and your aunt Lin," Su said to the young man who stood, bending and manipulating one of the statues.

"Nice to meet you," Korra said happily.

"Hey," He responded, not even sparing them a glance.

"Wow, that's a very nice... banana? Yes.. very lifelike!" Bolin tried, scratching his head in confusion. A smirk tugged at Korra's lip as Huan whipped around, indignation set in his eyes.

His robes were dark greens and blacks, and one side of his hair had been shaved.

"It's not a banana!" Huan complained. "I was inspired by harmonic convergence. It represents the dawning of a new age. Obviously," He added, with an air of superiority.

"Oh, yeah, no, I c... I can totally see that. Wait, let me stand here. Yes, I can see it now," Bolin stammered as they began to walk away.

"Banana. I mean, that's a banana, right?" Bolin whispered to Khione, who made a sound in agreement.

"And this is my daughter, Opal," Su said as they walked into another lush garden. Opal was sitting on one of the metal benches, engrossed in a book. She turned, her eyes widening, before she put down the book.

Opal reminded Korra of a deer-dog, all tawny skin and wide green eyes and kind expressions. 

"Wow, Avatar Korra. I can't believe you're really here. You are so amazing," Opal gushed sweetly, clasping her hands behind her back.

"It's great to meet you," Korra said sincerely.

"Opal? That's a beautiful name," Bolin said, and Opal blushed, tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear.

"I'm Bolin," He said, shaking her hand.

"Opal. But, uh, you already knew that," She said, blushing again. Korra couldn't help but immediately like her; she was sweet as sugar.

"Great. We found the airbender, let's take her back to the airship and get out of here," Lin said, scowling.

"And the woman apparently trying to abduct you is your aunt Lin," Su said amusedly.

"Really? I've always wanted to meet you. My mom has told me so many stories about you," Opal said, her face alight with excitement.

"I'm sure she had," Lin scowled, ignoring the way Opal's smile wavered.

"Okay, so I've set you up in guest houses while Korra trains Opal," Su interjected, her hands clasped.

"Oh, I'm sorry," Korra started awkwardly. "I was hoping she could train with the rest of the airbenders at the northern temple."