words that fall on deaf ears

KHIONE

Khione missed Republic City. She'd left for a few months because if she'd stayed, she would've died in that city. She'd needed a new beginning, a place to take her mind off everything that had happened.

And now they'd returned with the intention of seeking aid for the Southerners. The yacht sailed lazily into Republic City's calm waters, docking at the harbour. Khione stretched in the sun, the spray of sea foam clinging to her legs as she got off the yacht. She glanced at Korra, who was standing beside her, looking worried.

"Welcome home, Avatar. Thanks for starting a war," Chief Beifong greeted them sarcastically, her hands resting on her hips.

"I didn't start a war. Well, I did, but it's more complicated than you're making it seem," Korra confessed indignantly.

"Mako, I want you back on the beat. There's going to be a Southern Water Tribe peace march tonight. I need you there to make sure things don't get out of hand." Lin turned towards Mako, ignoring Korra.

"I'm all yours," Mako confirmed, looking determined.

"I'll go too," Korra blurted out. "The people of the South need to see that the Avatar is on their side in the fight against the Northern invaders."

"Great, that should calm them down," Lin replied flatly, before walking away.

"Maybe you should sit this out," Mako suggested tentatively.

"What?"
"I just think having you there, blatantly supporting one side will make things worse. You could at least try to seem neutral."

"I'm not neutral! The North invaded my home. I'm sorry, but I need to show the South I'm on their side. The reason I'm here is to get the Republic to send troops to help the South."

"Zhu Li's already scheduled a meeting for us with President Raiko tomorrow. We'll get him on board," Varrick added confidently.

"Whatever, I better go to work," Mako shrugged, walking away.

"I better go to check on my factory," Asami excused herself, heading off too.

"I'm going to find out about this peace march." Korra stalked off.

...

Khione walked through the hallway, the click of her cane echoing as she approached her apartment. Fishing out her keys, she unlocked the door, breathing the smell of old scrolls and lavender and cedar wood. She walked over to the window, opening it to let the sunlight spill through on the soft carpet.

Her apartment was newly bought and cozy, decorated simply; lapis furniture and cream walls splashed with pale blue, and white accents.

She'd bought it right after her father's funeral, selling his small mansion and using the small fortune he'd left behind, secured a small, pretty apartment by the bay of Republic City.

Quiet, peaceful, lovely.

Khione's hand hovered over the piles of papers and books and scrolls, scattered precariously on her kitchen counter. She swept them aside, making a half-hearted attempt to tidy them, before giving up.

Khione slid to the ground, her back resting against her kitchen counter. She was suddenly exhausted by everything going on. Her tribe was warring against the South, Korra was lashing out again and Khione felt utterly helpless. She pressed her hands to her face, sitting in the silence.

Khione hadn't realised she'd fallen asleep until the rapping on the door jolted her awake. She blinked blearily, before she crossed the short distance to the door, opening it. Korra nearly slammed into her, and Khione took a step back, catching her shoulders.

"Korra?" Khione said flatly.

Can I come in?" Korra asked urgently. Khione bit her lip, surveying the distressing look on her face.

"Of course. I'll put the kettle on," Khione limped to the kitchen before Korra could politely decline.

"How was the peace march?" She asked, as Korra looked around at Khione's home, momentarily distracted.

Korra's face darkened, and she scowled, before explaining the explosions that had blown up parts of the Cultural Center, setting the building up in flames.

"It's got to be the Northern Water Tribe," Korra threw up her hands as Khione busied herself with tidying the table.

"And, President Raiko is refusing to help the South. He won't send any troops to fight."

Khione's mood dipped. The South would be decimated without Republic City's troops.

"Varrick suggested I go straight to General Iroh, and get him to help us. I think he'd listen to me, and help aid the South."

Khione paused.

"Don't be ridiculous, Korra. Are you really going to drag the United Nations into a war behind the president's back?"

"Raiko's made up his mind. He'd rather leave the South to defend itself than help us."

Khione could see that Korra had made up her mind as well. Still, she sighed.

Korra, don't do this.There could be serious repercussions for this," She warned flatly. To her disappointment, Korra shook her head.

"If you don't agree with the plan, then just- just stay out of the way. I'm going to do something that actually helps my people, not just sit around and wait to be saved," Korra said, the edge in her voice sharp.

Khione wanted to shake some sense into the girl, but Korra had already backed away, slamming her door closed.

It was only a few hours later when someone was at her door again, banging on it aggressively. Khione had felt terribly burnt out all day, wanting nothing but to hole herself up in her room and sleep, thus, her mood was terrible. She practically threw open the door, glaring icily at the disturber, before softening her anger at the girl before her.

Korra stood at the door, looking absolutely furious.

"Did you tell President Raiko about General Iroh?"

Khione frowned. "President Raiko? Of course I haven't. I haven't left my apartment, Korra."

"Someone tipped him off, and he knew. I can't figure out who."

And you thought I'd do that?" Khione asked coldly, crossing her arms defensively over her chest.

Shame briefly flickered across Korra's face.

"I'm sorry," Korra raked a hand through her hair. "I'm just really angry that Raiko refused aid for the South."

"Korra, have you ever thought that maybe, you should take a step back and let the North and South resolve this themselves?" 

Korra looked at her, shock and anger flitting across her face.

"You too? Everyone keeps telling me to step back, but I'm the Avatar. I'm meant to bring peace to the world!" Korra's voice rose louder and louder, and Khione could feel her own anger in the pit of her stomach.

She made a frustrated noise. 

"This is all the Northerners' fault! Spirits, I hate them," She threw up her hands, oblivious to how Khione flinched.

That was the final straw.

"I'm a Northerner," Khione said lowly, her voice icy. She looked away as Korra's eyes widened in realisation.

"Khione, that's not what I meant," Korra said lamely, reaching out with a hand. Khione stepped away, brushing her off. Korra looked truly upset now, but she stepped back as well, taking a shaky breath.

"I'm going to the Fire Nation to talk to Lord Zuko and Fire Lord Izumi."

Khione said nothing, and Korra turned to leave.

Khione did not cry easily. But that night, Khione sank to the floor, and cried, feeling more alone than she had in ages.