the southern water tribe

KHIONE

After Khione's heartbreaking conversation with Katara, she seemed to find a home with Katara and her daughter. 

It was strange, living with the Katara, especially after years spent in a tumultuous household. Khione had never really taken care of herself that well, except when she had to, but Katara was sweet and kind, and nagged her all the time about getting enough rest. The first time she'd woken up in the middle of night to see Khione reading by the lamplight, she'd practically shooed the girl into bed and both threatened and begged her to get some rest.

Khione had nodded and tried not to cry and promised that she would try, but she'd been surprised by how much Katara cared for her. When Katara had asked her to stay in the South for a few months, Khione had been hesitant, but had eventually agreed. She desperately needed a change of scenery, especially after everything that had happened with the equalists. Besides, she couldn't decline the opportunity to learn from the greatest waterbender in their time.

Now, six months after Amon and the equalists, Khione stood close to Katara and Kya, waiting for Korra at the docks of the Southern Water Tribe. She gave a small wave with a gloved hand in greeting as Korra saw her, grinning as she hopped off the ferry, with Mako in tow.

"Khione! It's so good to see you." Korra enveloped her in a hug, before pulling away and looking Khione up and down.

"I love the look!"

Korra's eyes sparkled as she took in Khione's windswept bangs and the tiny braids in her hair, decorated with silvery blue beads. Her eyes were lined in kohl, accentuating the clear lapis blue of her eyes.

Khione gave her a small smile, reaching up to pat her cheek.

"You're looking as pretty as ever," Khione greeted her neutrally. Then she turned to Mako, looking blankly at him.

"Hi," She said blandly. 

Korra's eyes swept over the buildings, drinking in the familiar jagged mountains and the beautiful city of ice behind them, before catching sight of her parents. She grinned excitedly, walking up to them and hugging them tightly as Khione greeted Bolin, allowing him to briefly throw an arm around her.

"You remember Mako," Korra placed her hand on Mako's shoulder as they approached Korra's parents.

"Sir," Mako offered his arm politely, looking nervous as Tonraq, Korra's father, crossed his arms with a disapproving frown.

"I hope you're not getting my daughter into any more trouble up in the city," He said seriously, causing Mako to pull back his hand and stammer out his nervous response.

"Knock it off dad," Korra butted in after letting Mako sweat for a few moments.

Tonraq smiled relentingly, chuckling as he took Mako's arm heartily.

"Wow, look at all these people who came here to greet us!" Bolin preened, posing with his hands on his hips.

"Actually, they're here to greet them," Khione corrected, waving her hand at the elaborate Northern Water Tribe ship cruised into the harbour, crowds of people flocking the docks to greet them.

"The great chief of the Northern Water Tribe comes to grace us with his presence. Hooray," Tonraq grumbled sarcastically as Senna touched his arm comfortingly.

Said Chief of the Northern Water Tribe stepped off the ship, his expression distasteful as his eyes flickered around at the festivities around them. His twin children followed after him, wearing matching dark blue coats and bored expressions.