Tony glanced at Peter, at Sam, at May's mildly distressed face. Looked down at Morgan, made eye contact with Pepper, and then nodded, eyes crinkling. Pepper gave them all a smile. "That sounds wonderful. Shall we draw names now or after we eat?"

May insisted on helping Tony in the kitchen, and after the meal they all wrote their own name on a slip of paper and placed them into the same Iron Man helmet that Morgan had been playing with earlier. Then they passed it around and picked out a name. Peter's mind was racing as he waited for his turn, wondering what he'd get for people. Morgan would be easy, of course. Tony, too - the man loved collecting his own merchandise but refused to buy any. Getting Steve would open the way for many USA merch or old man joke gifts, and Clint was partial to liquorice.

Wanda handed Peter the helmet and he dipped his hand inside, fingertips brushing against paper. He pulled out a folded slip and handed the helmet on to Bruce. He bent his head and opened the paper under the table. His heart dropped, and he got out his phone to frantically text MJ.

SOS. What do you buy the Black Widow for Christmas??

sounds like the start of a joke

I wish. Can you help?

MJ's first reply came with surprising speed, but her second response didn't arrive until much later. Peter gave up staring at the bouncing dots and joined in a game of trivial pursuit. Bucky spend the whole time complaining how it was unfair for all the geniuses to be on one team, then his team won anyway. They were arguing over Christmas movies when Peter's phone finally buzzed again. Peter unlocked it eagerly, expecting a veritable essay. Instead he got:

lmao no. good luck

Honestly, he should have expected that.

They ended up watching The Polar Express at Morgan's insistence, and Peter managed to enjoy it rather than worrying about his predicament. Tony left when it ended to tuck Morgan into bed, and they played a few rounds of cards before heading to sleep themselves.

On the morning of Christmas Eve they were all woken by Morgan's excited footsteps down the stairs. Tony was already up, halfway through a cup of coffee, and caught her before she ran out into the garden in her pyjamas. Peter emerged from his room and greeted May as she too headed out for breakfast. Steve, Bucky and Wanda were already dressed when they came out of their rooms, all chuckling at the little girl's excitement for the snow that had settled thickly overnight. Breakfast was made by Bruce who apparently knew how to make croissants and nothing else - but they were very good croissants - then they got ready to head into the city.

The paparazzi must have had a field day catching the Avengers out Christmas shopping. They set a sensible budget ("not everyone can buy diamond-encrusted chocolate, Tony") and split into teams of more and less recognisable people. Tony went with Steve, Bruce, Happy and Morgan. Then Pepper, Bucky, Natasha and Sam. Peter ended up in the incognito team with May, Wanda and Clint. With Clint in a hoodie and Wanda wearing a bobble hat and coat, they looked like a regular family out for the day.

"Are you not spending Christmas with your family?" May asked Clint conversationally as they headed down the high street.

"Oh, I am. Laura and the kids will be joining us tomorrow morning. They're spending today with her parents."

"Can we go in here?" Wanda asked, pointing at a clothing store. "I need something for Sam. I know a couple of bands he listens to, I want to see if they have a t-shirt with them on." They helped her search and she made a purchase. Next Clint stopped them outside a toyshop and went inside, not allowing any of them to follow him. They wandered around a couple of other highstreet shops, May and Peter both searching for inspiration, and her finding it in the makeup section of a department store.