After Story: Cold (Warm) Shoulder

December, the time of winter.

Snow and ice as far as the eye can see.

The best thing to do? Stay warm.

Tozumo is over with Issei and is having a sleepover with Mako.

So, it was just me and the girls today. I was up first, luckily and unluckily. I managed to claw myself out of my wifes grasps and head downstairs.

I enter our small kitchen and grab everything I need to make some nice morning tea....

....

...Shit. I'm really out of tea bags? And I just went to the store yesterday. Didn't I put it on the list?

....

Wait, here they are. Put them in the wrong cabinet.

After I pour some water and put the bag into the kettle, I set it on the oven to let it start to boil. I lean against the counter and look outside to see the snow white field.

I look to the stairs as I hear footsteps. Slowly, Sonia comes into my vision.

Ryuko: Morning love.

As I saw more of her, I see that her hair is white and it now reached below her shoulders. Her eyes were squinted, but I see that their red instead of blue.

She slowly shuffled twords me. When she was close enough, she layed her head on my chest. I chuckle and wrapped my arms around her.

Ryuko: Seems your not much of a morning person today.

I feel her head move against my chest. I hear her let out a breath as her eyes closed.

Sonia: So...so cold...

Ryuko: Yeah, it is quite cold now. I could turn up the heat if you want.

I feel her head shake before she put her arms around me.

Sonia: Not cold..."cold"...

Not cold...but "cold"?..."cold"...

Ah. It must be a Leviathan thing. Maybe that's why her hair is white. I still never got the full explanation on her powers.

She holds me tighter and let's out another breath.

Sonia: So warm...warm...

Ryuko: Hey now, not so tight. I got tea going on the stove.

I hear her groan as she slowly released me and backed away. She was still uneasy on her feet, but she remained standing.

I looked to the kettle and carefully lifted it off the fire and put it into the tray with my cup. I made sure to grab two more before lifting it up and walking twords the living room.

I set it on the kotatsu and get under it. I use my foot to turn on the heater and set it on low. As I'm pouring myself a cup, Sonia staggers twords me again. She stopped beside me and looked down at me, a hard gaze to signal what she wanted.

I sigh and move back a bit. She stepped over my legs before slowly lowering herself into my lap and wrapped her arms under mine and layed her head on my shoulder.

She hummed as she closed her eyes.

Sonia: ...Warm...

I sigh again and sip my tea. I feel like I'm gonna be stuck like this for a while...

....

....Someone knocks at the door. Who could be here this early?

Ryuko: Sonia, let go. I gotta get up. Just for a moment.