“Hey little mouse, why don’t you tell me how is college going?”

She smiled wide and I knew at first that things were going well. She flicked her golden hazel hair around, turning around on her chair, and then fished something from behind her. She stuck a paper on the screen showing a red and big A+. Her face beamed with proud and joy. I was really happy for her and I was happy she decided to follow her own path and didn’t listen to our parents.

“Congrats, Alice. I see it’s also your favourite subject.”

“Thanks bro” She showed back her face and put down the paper, then smiled in a teasing way and I knew what she wanted now. “Now, can I meet this mysterious person or not? I will begin to think you’re tricking me...”

I snorted and shook my head. She giggled at my poor temper. I turned and looked at Shane and stretched my arm and hand at him, tilting my head as to say to come over. He hesitated and then walked beside me with a loud sigh. I pulled him down on my laps. He gasped surprised and shot me a confused look.

“Alice, this is Shane.”

My sister looked at me a bit confused and clearly not understanding the situation, then looked at Shane through the webcam and literally scanned every single particular of his face. Don’t get the wrong impression, she wasn’t an idiotic judgemental person, but she liked to observe person and from her look and eyes I could tell she was impressed and something about Shane caught her attention and interest. That’s why she didn’t say anything for few seconds.

“Em, maybe it wasn’t a good idea...” He whispered to me, his flicking jaded nervous sparks.

“Relax, Shane, ok?” I squeezed his arm and smiled softly.

“Shane?” Alice finally spoke.

“Yes, that’s me and you’re Alice, right?”

 He wasn’t even seeing my sister, he was still too tense and nervous.

“Yeah, that’s me.” She cheered. “Shane, you’re absolutely hot and gorgeous. Are you some sort of model?”

“What?” He blurted, turning to look at me even more confused.

I began to laugh quite loudly, because my sister was really straightforward and couldn’t hold very much what she thought. And the fact she loved photography and art made her look at people with the artistic eye and I knew something about Shane had her attention.

“He’s not Alice.”

“But Mett, I thought you met a girl and it’s a friend you meant.” She sounded a bit disappointed, but then smiled again. Shane stiffened a bit on my laps. I knew he didn’t like to be considered only friend and have to say, it didn’t bother me, it made me feel even more in power. Strange, isn’t it? “Well, I’m still happy and he’s a hottie.”

“Alice, Shane isn’t exactly my friend.” I didn’t want to throw the news directly on her face, I first wanted to test the ground first.

“He’s not exactly a friend? So...”

She studied my face, then knotted her eyebrows in a reflecting expression and tapped her dimples with her index fingers. Yeah, she had dimples even without laughing or smiling. She had a naturally happy face. Then she looked at me again and at Shane and back. She narrowed her eyes and then widened them; she probably thought about something, but it was clearly impossible for her to believe it.

Ok, it was time to tell her.

I had enough fun and Shane was shifting even more uneasy and uncomfortable on my legs.