Chapter 32: Nothing Like Family

The next day Fatima went to check on Madea.

"Knock, knock." Fatima walked into Madea's house.

Madea was in the kitchen when she heard her walking into the house. "You do know the key is for emergencies. I could have a gentleman caller in here."

"Grandma, that's gross." Fatima cringed. "Besides you know you're glad to see me."

Madea gave her a stern look.

"Okay, I promise to knock next time."

"How was your trip? Do you have something good to tell me?"

"You want to know if he proposed to me? Yes, he did, and I said yes!!!" Fatima announced excitedly. She pulled out the ring and placed it on her finger.

"Congratulations, baby!! Let me see how good he did." Madea looked at the ring. "Oh, he did a good job."

"Yes, he did."

"Come have a seat. Do you want some food? I made some soup."

"I'll take some to go. Andi is supposed to come over later so we can hang out."

"Take some for her too. It's plenty."

One thing Madea can do is cook. She put some soup in a to-go container for both Fatima and Andi. They then went to sit in the living room to talk.

"Zac told me he talked to you."

"Yep, that Zac. He's a good man. Tima, I always liked him for you."

"Well, he said you threatened him."

"I did."

Back to Zac and Madea's phone conversation.

"Hi Ms. Simmons, this is Zachary Taylor."

"Hi, Zachary! How have you been?" Madea asked.

"I'm good. How about you?" Zac met Madea a few times. He knows how close Fatima is to her.

"Hanging in there, hanging in there."

"Good. I was calling about Fatima. I don't know if you are aware that we got back together a few months ago."

"Yeah, she told me."

"Well, I love her. Your granddaughter is something special and I would like to propose to her when she comes down here in a few weeks."

"Shut your mouth! Zac, I knew I liked you."

"So, you're okay with it?"

"Of course." Madea excitedly said. "But You know Fatima is my baby, so if you mess her over, it'll be me and you."

"Dang Madea. You would do me like that. I got you though. You don't have to worry."

"Don't let the old lady part fool you. I grew up in the streets, before I turned myself over to the Lord. Halleluiah!" Madea did a little praise dance.

"You're funny Madea." Zac laughed.

"Seriously, she's very fragile and should be handled with care. Even though she seems tough on the outside and looks like she has it all together, she doesn't. Well, she does, but she doesn't."

"I understand. I wouldn't do anything to hurt her intentionally. I promise to take good care of her."

"You better. I like you and all, but Zatima Renae Wilson is my world. Ever since her mom left, I promised God and her that as long as I'm alive and breathing I will protect her."

"Well, now that makes two of us."

"You have my permission, but don't be up there trying to elope. She deserves the best."