Chapter 31: The Engagement

Fatima and Zac are engaged.

They thanked John Legend for his help in making the morning special.

Zac had his chef come over early this morning to make a nice gourmet breakfast. They invited John Legend to eat with them, but he had somewhere to be.

"How did you get a hold of Mr. John Legend himself?"

"One of my teammates is his cousin. I had some of this planned out once I knew you were coming to visit."

"It was nice. I loved the proposal and I love you." She screamed. "I am now a Fiancé!" 

They kissed and then made their plates.

Zac expressed himself. "So, about the eloping. I don't really want to elope. I just wanted to see what you would say. I do want to marry you as soon as possible though, but I want to do it the right way. Shoot, Madea would kill me if I eloped with you." 

"Does she know about the proposal?" Fatima asked curiously.

"Of course. Do you think I would have proposed without getting her approval? When I finally found the name of her restaurant, I called to ask for her permission. Of course, she threatened me."

"Lol. What did she say?"

"That's between us."

"That's fine I'll ask her. Are you ready to take me to the airport?"

"What you tired of me already?"

"No, but I don't want to miss my flight."

Zac took Fatima to the airport. While they waited for the flight, they discussed plans on when they were going to see each other again.

***

Back in ATL

Fatima made it home safely. So far, she hasn't told anyone about the engagement. She wants to tell them in person. After she go settled, she called Zac to let him know she made it home.

While they were on the phone, he got a beep.

"Let me talk to you later, this is my mom again."

They hung up and he clicked over. "Hey Mom, what's up?"

"Hey, sorry I interrupted your dinner the other day. I forgot you had company. How was it?" Ms. Janet asked.

"It was cool." He didn't want to tell his momma about the engagement until he got the ok from Fatima. "What's going on with you?"

I have your father on the other line."

"Hey pops, what up?"

"Hey Son," Mr. Taylor was so glad he and his namesake were in a better place. "Your mother and I have something we want to tell you."

"Ok? It isn't anything bad, is it?" Zac questioned.

"No, It's not." His father let him know. "It's really good news. I'll let your mother tell you."

"Um, can someone go ahead and tell me?" Zac interrupted. "The suspense is killing me."

"Your father and I are getting married."

"What the fuck?" Zac had to move the phone away from his mouth so they wouldn't hear him curse.

"Zac, are you there?" his mom asked.

"Yeah, look I got to go. Congrats. Um I'll talk to ya'll later." Zac rushed off the phone. "Fuck, fuck, fuck!"

Out of the twins, Zac is the overly protective one. When it comes to his mom and sister, he blocks everyone from messing with them. After the divorce, it got worse. Luckily, he doesn't live in Atlanta.

 Once he got off the phone, he called Fatima back. 

"Fatima."

"Hey Zac. What's up? Is everything okay?" Fatima was worried.

"My parents are getting married again." He said sadly.

"Oh my God, that's great! That's good news, why do you sound so sad?"

"I'm not."

"We could have a double wedding," Fatima joked, but Zac didn't find it funny.

"What's the problem?" She asked him.

"They just got back together. Don't you think they are moving too fast?"

"Uh, no. You are sounding like a hypocrite. Didn't we just get back together 3 months ago and now engaged?"

"We're different."

"How are we any different?"

"I didn't cheat on you."

"No, you didn't, but they have like 3 decades of history and 3 children. It's obvious they have a lot of love for each other."

"Whatever."

"It sounds like you're still upset with your dad for what he did, and that's understandable, but let your mom be happy. Think about it Zac. You got another chance at love, then why can't they?"

"I guess you're right." He started thinking about everything she said.

"What! Did you say I was right?" Fatima teased. "Look it's obvious you're still holding a grudge with your dad. You need to work it out with him."

He was silent for a moment. 

"Zac!"

"What?"

"I'm dead serious, you need to have a sit-down talk with your dad. This hatred you have towards him is going to enterer with your relationship with your mom, your siblings, and even me."

"I don't hate him."

"Well, whatever it is I don't like it. I remember the first time I met your family; everyone was so close knit.  That's what I want for our future kids. You know I grew up with just me and Madea. I don't have a father or siblings. Our kids will have to get that aunty, uncle, and grandfather relationship from your side of the family." Fatima got emotional. "Just fix it Zac. Fix it."

"Ok! I will."

"I'm about to get off. Call me when it's done." Fatima said getting ready to hand up.

"I love you T." Zac said.

"I love you too." She hung up.

****

After Fatima got off the phone with Zac, she took a shower and then went to her room to nap. Of course, she couldn't sleep so she called Andi. They talked for a few minutes. Talking to her friend cheered her up. 

"A, what are you doing tomorrow? We should have a girls' night."

"Ok, I get off work early tomorrow so that would be perfect." Andi mentioned.

"Alright, that sounds good. Talk to you later. "

The two hung up. Fatima searched the TV channel and watched TV until 2:00 am, and then fell asleep.