Chapter 4: The First Date

The week comes and goes. The team has another game. Even though Zac is suspended he is still able to practice and participate in everything but play in the game.

At first, Fatima was going to stay in her room to study, but then at the last minute, she decided to go to the game with Shari.

As soon as she sat down, she and Zac locked eyes.

2 hours later they lost the game again. When the game ended, he ran over to Fatima, "Hey can you stay for like 10 minutes? I will be right back. Please don't leave."

Fatima agreed to stay and wait for him.

He finally came out of the locker room pissed. She notices the change in his demeanor as he walks towards her.

"Hey, you good? She asked him.

"No offense little mama. I'm not in the mood," he stated, trying not to come off too rude.

"Okay!! Do you want to talk about it?"

"No, not really. I just wanted to make sure we were still on for this weekend."

"Sure," said Fatima. "See you later," she smiles.

"Bet," Zac leaves the stadium.

"Hey Fatima, why are you looking like you're lost?" Asked Shari.

"No, I'm good."

"Did you see your boy?"

"Yeah, I saw him. He's in a little mood, but we have a date for Friday."

"Oooh, well let's go shopping and find you something to wear."

"Ok, can you text Andi to see if she wants to go? You know she will be upset if we go without her." Said Fatima.

"Alright, alright!" Shari texted Andi like she was asked.

Andi had a test to study for, the reason she didn't go to the game, but nothing can keep her from shopping.

"Yes, come pick me up," said Andi.

The two girls head back to the dorm to get Andi and then go to the mall.

***

It's Friday and Zac walks over to the ladies' hall to find Fatima's dorm. Since it's fall weather in Alabama, she decided against the outfit she bought from the mall and just went with her favorite color, black. They call her Poetic Tima because she always where black. You may catch her a few times a year wearing something besides that, but not often.

He knocks and Fatima runs to open the door.

Fatima was sporting her short curls, her black leather biker jacket with a black top and bottoms, and a scarf for a little color.

Zac, on the other hand, was wearing his long-sleeved striped shirt and some jeans. Very appropriate for where they were going.

"Hey, Fatima."

"Hey, Zac. Are you ok?"

"Yeah, can we just go?"

"Fine. Let me get my purse." Fatima was turned off by his attitude.

The two head outside to the festival a few blocks away.

"How did you know about this festival?" Asked Fatima.

"A teammate." He said sounding callous.

"If you keep this attitude up, then I'm going back to my room," she warned him.

"No, please don't. One of my teammates said they come here every year for the food and games, so I figured we could get a little something to eat and talk. I apologize for coming off rude, I've just been having a rough day."

"It seems like you're always having a rough day."

"I know. Thank you for continuing to give me a chance though despite my mood."

"Of course. It sounds like you could use a friend, someone to talk to. If you ever want to talk about it, I'm here and I won't judge."

"I appreciate it, maybe another time. I don't want to ruin the date any more than I have."

They head to the food truck that serves hot dogs and corn dogs. They both get a hot dog, sit down, and eat for a minute.

"I am a foodie. I could eat from each of these food trucks." Fatima joked.

"Go right ahead," Zac encouraged. "We can work it off afterward."

Fatima smiles and shakes her head.

"I'm not talking about like that, but you do have a nice smile." He complimented.

"Thanks."

"Let's go try some of those chili cheese fries." He suggested.

After they ate the fries, they got some ice cream and walked around the park.

"How come you didn't play or sit with the team the other day?"

"My coach is an ass," he responded. "I got suspended for nothing."

"Wow! Have you spoken with the Dean about him?"

"What, and be a tattle tail? No thanks."

"Well, what does he do?"

"He treats me unfairly. Almost like he has it out for me. I barely get to play in the game. We always lose and he doesn't even care." Zac explained.

"I got an idea. One of my roommates is in school to become a lawyer. You can probably help her with one of her classes and she could help you out." Fatima suggested.

"Hold up, did you say one of your roommates? How many do you have?"

"Two," Fatima said nonchalantly.

"That's what's up.

Reggae music started playing through the speakers.

What type of music do you like?" He asked as he bopped to the music.

"I like all types, if it's good, I like it."

"What are you majoring in?" He asked.

"Social work. I want to be a family counselor, and you?"

"Right now, Architectural engineering, but my main goal is to play pro football, that's if I can find a way to get rid of Coach."

"Hold on, let me text my girl and see if she is in the room." Fatima texted Andi. "She's there. Are you ready to go?"

"Yeah, let's go."

They head back to Fatima's dorm to talk to Andi. They tell her all the details.

The last few days Zac and Fatima had been spending a lot of time together putting together ideas. She was very easy to talk to which made it easy for them to become friends.

24 hours before the game, Andi, Fatima, and Zac are in the dorm writing a proposal for tomorrow's game.

The proposal listed that the team would forfeit all games until they got a new coach. The team's goal is to win and to be treated fairly. Also, the school has to drop Zac's suspension and put him in the game for the team to play again.