Chapter 18: As We Lay

The Next Morning

Zac and Fatima went to sleep cuddled next to each other.

He gets a text from his mom. She was checking on him.

Fatima wakes up and sees him texting. "Good morning." She greeted.

"Good morning, T. Sorry to wake you. Mom is wondering where I'm at with her car."

"That's fine. I got to get ready for work anyway."

Fatima gets up to shower. When she gets out, she notices he's still in the bed on his phone.

"You do know that means you have to go too?"

"Oh, you kicking me out? That's OK. I know when I'm not wanted."

"Boy please."

"I have to go to Mom's to get ready for my meeting anyway."

Fatima finished getting ready. Zac puts his clothes and shoes back on, hugs Fatima, and heads out the door.

***

After his meeting, he received a call from his alarm company. He finds out that his house has been broken into. Immediately he calls his homeboy to meet the cops to see how bad things are. Then he calls Tia to see if she knows anything.

"Hello?"

"Hey Tia, my house got broken into. Do you know anything?" Zac questioned her.

"Uh, no. Why would I know anything? I left your house a few days ago."

"My bad. I wasn't trying to accuse you. I will talk to you later."

"Wait, Zac. I have something to tell you."

"What is it, Tia? I have to go."

"I'm pregnant." Tia blurted out.

"Say what?"

She announced a little slower for him to comprehend. "I. said. I. am. Pregnant."

He's silent for a few. "Look we'll talk as soon as I get back to Seattle. I have to take care of some things here."

He hung up the phone.

"Shit, shit, shit." He cursed out loud.

He sits in the vehicle thinking and then calls up someone you would least expect; his pops.

"Hello." They both say.

"Who is this?" Asked his Pops. When Zac left Atlanta, he changed his number and only gave it to a few people, so his pops no longer had it.

"It's your namesake, Zac."

Shocked to hear from him, "Son, is everything okay? Is your mom, sister, and brother, okay?

"Yes, they are fine. I am fine."

"Well, it's good to hear from you. What did I do to deserve this call?" He asked.

"Can we meet somewhere to talk?"

"Of course. How about at the park we used to go to?" Mr. Taylor was ecstatic.