~ forty five ~

Olivia's pov

We eventually left the hotel, after everyone saying happy birthday and giving me presents.

"Whatever the scoreline is tonight, I'm so proud of every single one of you. What we've accomplished this tournament, has made history. And winning tonight will just be the cherry on top. Yes it will be disappointing if we don't win, but be proud of yourselves no matter what. Have high hopes tonight. Keep your heads high. Confidence turned all the way up. We're in the final of the euros at a sold out Wembley. Not many people can say that. We've got this, okay? This is England. We are England. And we're going to prove that today. And that doesn't mean proving that by winning this. We prove that by going out into the pitch and showing and playing our best. No matter what. No matter the scoreline." I finish my captains speech as I sit back down in my seat.

Since Sarina's got loads of tactics and strategies to say in the changing rooms, she suggested I do my speech on the coach to Wembley.

"We've got this. You've got this." Sarina tells me and pats my back with a big smile on her face.

————————

It was so overwhelming when we got to Wembley stadium.

There were so many fans waiting outside for us.

And it was even more overwhelming when we got to the changing rooms.

All our kits were organised, mine being the odd one out with the captain's arm band and pennant with it.

We got changed into our warm up kits and made our way out to the pitch to warm up.

Already, the stadium was filling with fans.

Once we finished with the warm ups, we went back to the changing rooms and got into our kits.

Sarina came in and explained tactics and strategies.

And before I knew it, it was time to go to the tunnel.

This was it. This is one of the moments I had been dreaming of since I was a little girl.

Leading my country out to a full Wembley stadium to play in a final of a home euros. It didn't get better than that.

Especially doing it with my wife and best friends.

————————

As we walk out of the tunnel, a small smile appears on my face as I look around the stadium. I didn't see an empty chair in sight.

During the warm ups, I had purposely looked around to find my family, and to no surprise, I saw them sitting with all of less' family.

I smile at them and continued to walk out onto the pitch.

I still couldn't help but smile, knowing that all these people had come to watch us play.

The German national anthem played first and they all held hands whilst they sang it.

Our national anthem sang and we all sang it loudly with pride.

Even throughout the anthem, I still had a small smile on my face.

We fist bump all the German players before taking off our jackets and getting into position.

In goal, we had Mary. The back four was Rach, Leah, millie and Lucy. Playing in midfield, we had Kiera, G, Hempo and Beth, along with me and Ellen upfront.

I needed to score one more goal to break the record of the most goals scored in a women's euros.

We take a team picture and I make my way to the ref and lineswomens, fist bumping them all before fist bumping the German captain.

We swap pennants and do a coin toss.

Just before kick off, the red arrows fly over.

It was so overwhelming. Just under 90,000 people had come to watch us. The red arrows had just flown over for us. It was incredible.

No matter what the scoreline is at the end, this will be one of the best matches in my career.