𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬.

𝗔𝗰𝘁 𝘁𝘄𝗼, 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝘄𝗲𝗹𝘃𝗲.

𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗣𝗮𝗿𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘀

Season four, episode six:

The Doctor's Daughter - Part Two.

- ~ -

The Doctor was now realising the gravity of the mistake he had made. In his curiosity, he had overlooked the prideful desperation of the soldiers around him and now he was forced to watch as they prepared for what they thought would be their final battle before freedom.

"Tell them to prepare to move out. We'll progenate new soldiers on the morning shift, then we march!" General Cobb ordered sharply, an edge of urgency glimmering in his eyes, "Once we reach the Temple, peace will be restored at long last."

The Doctor grabbed his arm, "Call me old fashioned, but if you really wanted peace, couldn't you just stop fighting?"

Cobb narrowed his eyes, "Only when we have the Source. It'll give us the power to erase every stinking Hath from the face of this planet."

The Doctor didn't like that. He knew all too well what the annihilation of an entire race looked like and he never wanted to see it again, never wanted to feel the horror that came from the knowledge that everything that species had done and lived for would never see the light of day again.

"Hang on!" He snarked, eyes sharpened, "It was peace in our time a second ago and now you're talking about Genocide!"

Cobb remained firm in his militaristic views, "For us, that means the same thing."

"Then you need a better dictionary!" He hissed, "When you do, look up Genocide. You'll see a picture of me there and the caption will read 'over my dead body'!"

He refused to see these people destroy another species in the name of some pathetic war over something they didn't even know existed. Blind faith and time were not a good mix, ideas got convoluted and suddenly people were dying simply because of what they believed in.

"You're the one who showed us the path to victory," Cobb said then, voice wispy and confused. For someone who so clearly had the eyes of someone who'd seen more bloodshed than they cared to admit, the Doctor's desperation to stop them from fighting was, in his eyes, hypocritical.

He sighed, he was too much of a problem to let run loose, "You can consider the irony of that from a prison cell. Cline, at arms!"

The man, finally with a name, pointed his gun towards the Doctor without hesitation.

"Oi! Oi! All right! Cool the beans, Rambo!" Donna yelped, glare fixated on her face.

"Take them. I won't have them trying any treason. And if you try anything, Doctor, I'll see to it that your women die first," Cobb threatened with ease, as if what he was saying was perfectly ordinary. To him, it probably was to him.