𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫'𝐬 𝐃𝐫𝐮𝐦𝐬.

𝗔𝗰𝘁 𝗼𝗻𝗲, 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆 𝘀𝗶𝘅.

𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗠𝗮𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗿'𝘀 𝗗𝗿𝘂𝗺𝘀.

Season three episode twelve:

The Sound of Drums - Part two.

- ~ -

It was dark.

And the darkness clung to Lynnette's skin like a guide, gentle and kind. It was almost odd, considering that her body hummed with fire but she supposed light and darkness went hand in hand, two sides of the same coin, one can not exist without the other.

She and Martha crept along, the latter with a bag of takeaway chips in her hands. Quickly, almost like scurrying rats, they made their way into the abandoned warehouse they had made their hideout. Distantly, the patter of rain echoed around them, sliding down the windows like symphonies.

Jack immediately noticed them, "How was it?"

"I couldn't hear or see anyone," Lynnette murmured, throwing a glance over her shoulder just to be sure.

Martha nodded her head in agreement, "I don't think anyone saw us. Anything new?"

"I got this tuned into the government wavelength to see what Saxon's doing," jack spoke, graciously taking the box Martha handed him.

She clenched her jaw, "I meant about my family!"

The Doctor nodded to Lynnette in thanks as she handed him food, opening her own as he spoke, "It still says the Jones family have been taken in for questioning. Tell you what, though. There's no mention of Leo."

A sigh ran through Martha as she smiled, "He's not as daft as he looks," She paused, "I'm talking about my brother, on the run. How did this happen?"

"Nice chips," Hummed Jack, settling down.

Lynnette made a noise of agreement.

"Actually, they're not bad," Murmured the Doctor in surprise, putting another one into his mouth.

Martha shared a glance with Jack and Lynnette, curiosity burning on her tongue. It was a question she was desperate to know and she knew that Jack wanted to know the answer as well. She gestured for him to ask.

Jack shifted and spoke softly, "So, Doctor...Who is he? How come the Ancient Society of Time Lords created a psychopath?"

"And what is he to you? Like a colleague or...?"

"A friend, at first," Breathed the Doctor, a faraway look in his eyes as he recalled all those childhood days in Gallifrey.

Martha let out a breath, "I thought you were gonna say he was a secret brother or something."