𝐁𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐬.

𝗔𝗰𝘁 𝗼𝗻𝗲, 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆.

𝗕𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗛𝗲𝗮𝗿𝘁𝘀.

Season three, episode nine:

The Family of Blood - Part two.

- ~ -

John let out a huff, looking worriedly back at the door they had just come from, "What do we do now? We don't have a trap set for them, do we?"

"Of course not," Lynnette hummed easily, heart beating steadily, unafraid, "And now, Johnny dear, we get our little trio together and run."

"Good. All the boys have been evacuated," Martha breathed, "Still no sign of the watch."

Lynnette let out a scoff, "Of course, there isn't. The Doctor's going to have one hell of a reveal, I'm sure. He's the most dramatic man I've ever met."

"John isn't dramatic at all," Nurse Redfern spoke as she strode towards them, narrowed eyes sharp like daggers, "And what's this about running?"

John shifted uncomfortably, he could almost feel the irritation radiating off of Lynnette and jumped to diffuse it, "We're going to run from them. It's our only chance as of right now."

"Exactly, now let's get moving before they call my bluff and charge in," Spoke the woman quickly, already moving towards the back exit of the school.

Quietly, they trudged across the floorboards, wincing with every creak or crack they heard. Distantly, Lynnette could hear the argued chatter of the Family, some saying to go forward and others cautious with their lives.

You couldn't become immortal if you were dead, after all.

Slowly, Lynnette twisted the handle to the back door and so slightly poked her head out. She looked in both directions with a scrutinizingly strong gaze, she would not be surprised by any threat now.

Nothing.

A careful step was taken as the cold air wisped against Lynnette's hot skin, a promise to be by her side and caress her cheek if she fell into the hands of death. The night was shrouded in dark, the stars and the moon playing witness to a passionate story of war and love.

Lynnette was almost too aware of the heavy, unsteady breaths coming from the people behind her as they crept forward across the marshy ground. Quickly, well as quickly as people that were hunched over could move, they made their way towards an oasis of trees and bushes, the perfect, shadowy cover.

Her heart thumped against her chest like a warrior's march as she slipped into the shadows, almost surprised to find a small dip in the terrain. 

"Careful," She whispered so quietly it was almost as if a ghost had spoken.