𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐕𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐚𝐢𝐧 𝐈𝐧 𝐅𝐥𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐬.

𝗔𝗰𝘁 𝘁𝘄𝗼, 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗿𝗲𝗲.

𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗩𝗶𝗹𝗹𝗮𝗶𝗻 𝗜𝗻 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗙𝗹𝗮𝗺𝗲𝘀.

Season four, episode two:

The Fires of Pompeii - Part One.

- ~ -

They strode out of the Tardis, into the bustling streets. The air smelt different, unclogged by exhaust fumes and smoke, filled only with donkeys, carts, stalls and people living their lives, oblivious to the future of humankind.

"Ancient Rome," The Doctor grinned, pride glimmering in his eye as he glanced at Donna whose eyes glittered with amazement, "Well, not to them, obviously. To all intents and purposes, right now, this is Brand New Rome."

Donna let out a breath of wonder, watching people as they walked along the streets in togas and sandals, "Oh, my God. It's so Roman! This is fantastic!"

Lynnette laughed, "I bet the Tardis has some robes lying around somewhere."

Donna smiled brightly, throwing her arms around the pair as she hugged them tightly before exclaiming, "I'm here! In Rome, Donna Noble, in Rome. This is just weird. I mean everyone here is dead."

"Well, don't tell them that," The Doctor hummed, unable to deny that when time travelling, everyone was really just a ghost, either past or yet to exist.

Donna tilted her head, "Hold on a minute, that sign over there is in English," She motioned to a fish stall, "Are you having me on, are we in Epcot?"

Lynnette snorted, "Donna, the Tardis is bigger on the inside than the outside, do you really think she wouldn't be able to do something as simple as translating."

The Doctor nodded, "It's the Tardis' translation circuit, it makes it look like English. Speech as well, you're talking Latin right now."

"Seriously?" Donna gasped.

"Yeah," Lynnette hummed, recalling the brief latin classes she took in an attempt to read the Illad in it's earlier language. The endavour was not successful.

"i just said 'seriously' in Latin!" Donna beamed as they began to wonder through the streets, "What if I said something in actual Latin? Like 'Veni, vidi, vici'? My dad said that coming back from football. If I said 'Veni, vidi, vici' to that lot, what would it sound like?"

The Doctor tilted his head, "I'm not sure. You do ask a lot of difficult questions, don't you?"

"I'm gonna try it," Donna bounced on the heels of her feet.

"Good luck," Lynnette chirped softly.

Donna strode towards a man with stuble along his jaw and thick curly hair. HE smiled at her welcomingly, "Afternoon, sweetheart, what can I get for you, my love?"