𝐂𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞.

𝗔𝗰𝘁 𝗼𝗻𝗲, 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗲𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻.

𝗖𝗹𝗲𝗮𝗿 𝗟𝗼𝘃𝗲.

Season three, episode eight:

Human Nature - Part two.

- ~ -

"Are you all right?" Lynnette questioned a boy standing under a tree, staring up at it with a face of fear.

The boy turned to her with such suddenness it almost made her jump back but the tears in his eyes and the quiver of his lips made her heart soften like butter. He sniffled, once, twice and with a shuddering breath, pointed upwards, "J-James..."

Lynnette furrowed her brows and followed the pointed finger to wear another young boym, perhaps only just a little older clung for dear life to a branch right at the very top of the great old oak. She felt her heart still for a moment, "Oh, are you afraid to climb down?"

The boy, James, nodded, "Some of the branches snapped."

It was then that Lynnette saw them, scattered across the ground like soldiers and let out a sigh. These boys were young, perhaps only eleven and yet the time of war was almost upon them and would be soon enough. She let out a breath. 1914 was only a year away, after all.

Still, Lynnette could help them now.

She smiled at James reassuringly, "It's all right, I'm going to help you," Then she turned to the other boy, "What's your name?"

"Charles," Murmured the boy through his sniffles.

Lynnette nodded her head, "Well, Charles, I know you're worried but I need you to run into the town square and find someone to help just in case, all right?"

Charles nodded as he began to run off, "I'll be back soon James!"

"Hurry!" Cried the other, clutching onto the branch he sat on as hard as could as another branch beneath him cracked.

Lynnette clicked her tongue, she needed to get him down now. Quickly, she yanked her shoes up, it was incredibly difficult to climb a tree with heeled shoes. She clutched the bark against her hand and looked up at the boy, "All right, James. I'm going to come and get you. My name's Lynnette by the way."

"Lynnette..." Murmured the boy, lip trembling as his eyes glossed with another round of tears, "I'm scared."

Lynnette nodded, heaving herself up to the first branch that shook more than she thought it would, "I know and that's all right. I bet you were scared when you climbed up here, right?" James nodded, "And you still did it anyway. That's very brave of you."

"Really?" Questioned James, dark hair tousled around his face like wild winds.

Lynnette smiled as she carefully twisted her body through the branches, hesitating at almost everyone, she couldn't risk herself falling. Still, her body moved lithely, twirling through the branches, her focus on the frightened boy shaking.