𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐨𝐥𝐝𝐢𝐞𝐫𝐬.

𝗔𝗰𝘁 𝘁𝘄𝗼, 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗲𝗻.

𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗦𝗼𝗹𝗱𝗶𝗲𝗿𝘀.

Season four, episode five:

The Poison Sky - Part Two.

- ~ -

"They've taken the factory," Mace breathed sharply as soldiers fled from bullets made out of lasers. They were completely outmatched, they were being murdered left, right and centre. They could do nothing against the Sontarans and their fierce weaponry.

Lynnette felt her stomach churn, her senses rising. If she was looking through anyone else's eyes, she thought she would have looked like a cat preparing to match its move. She didn't like it, felt like she was one enemy away from smashing someone's head into a wall. Her skill curled at the thought.

She was losing herself. Slowly but surely, she was losing herself to the creature within her that craved violence.

The Doctor glanced at her from the corner of his eye and decided it would be best to leave her be for the moment. He saw the way her hands twitched and the way her eyes hung on the edge of a feral gleam. He needed to find out what species she was and quickly, perhaps that would offer some clarity.

He would continue his search after the Earth was saved from peril, "Why? They don't need it, so why attack now? What are they up to? Times like this, I could do with a Brigadier. No offense."

"None was taken," Mace muttered, finally understanding with the deaths of his soldiers that the Doctor and Lynnette were right, "Sir Alistair's a fine man, if not the best. Unfortunately, he's stranded in Peru."

"Launch grid back online," Marion spoke.

The screen turned off again.

Lynnette slipped beside the Doctor, not quite touching him but not so far away from him that she was standing in a different space. He could practically feel the restraint coming from her. Everything was too loud, too sensitive, overwhelming. Especially because she had no clue where Martha was and could easily snatch up the imposter with sharp claws.

Tentatively, he brushed his knuckles against her own. She didn't flinch away but he still wasn't quite sure if touch would set her off. Carefully, he stretched out his pinkie.

No movement came from Lynnette as she kept her eyes from straying to Martha, knowing the urge to find out the truth was growing stronger. It felt like something was invading her mind, something that snarled and snapped and wanted to drown itself in blood.

The Doctor was about to pull his hand away but Lynnette wrapped her pinkie around his.

He was as much her anchor as she was his.