63 . RESENTMENT

NaomiFebruary 14th, 2010❤️Harlem, New York

Naomi
February 14th, 2010❤️
Harlem, New York

"Everything always the same
If it ain't one thing, it's another
Jumped out a plane and we both landed
Right where we started
There ain't a heart here to claim
It's a shame that we're still undercover
Acting like everything's perfect
But nothing's quite like we wanted"

"You deadass? You mad over some old ass shit like that?"

I cut my eyes at Steph, glaring at her perched on top of my vanity as I tugged my bonnet off and tossed it to the side.

Last night when we got in, I locked my bedroom door, showered and went right to sleep without even looking back at Chris. I didn't want to see him or speak to him, so his ass was probably still knocked out downstairs on the couch.

I'm so mad at him.

I didn't understand how the same person who constantly said things like "it's me and you"  or "we'll figure it out" could turn around and do the stupid things he's done. How he could be so easily influenced by people who don't know the first thing about us. How somebody else could make him change his mind about me. That's what hurts the most.

"It's not old shit, Steph. It's the same shit. Over and over again." I huffed, shaking my head in annoyance and picking up my comb to do my hair. "You don't think I got the right to be mad about that? You wouldn't be mad if you were me?"

"If I give you my opinion, you gon' actually listen to me or you gon' have some smart shit to say? Because if you make me waste my time talking imma beat your ass."

"Say what you gotta say. Whatever." I waved her off, focusing on myself in the mirror, parting my wild hair down the middle and smoothing it out on each side.

"Nae, niggas is dumb." She said flatly, and I gave her a few seconds to follow up with something else, but it never came. When I glanced at her expectantly, she was just staring back at me as if she'd just said the most obvious thing in the world and I just wasn't getting it. "That's it. They dumb. They gonna do dumb shit. You mad at him for some dumb shit he did three years ago, and guess what? Bitch in two months he gonna do some new dumb shit. You gonna keep beefing with your nigga because he dumb?"

"You making excuses for him Steph."

"You know better than that bitch. I hate these niggas. But I'm just keeping it real with you. Yeah, it was fucked up. Y'all could've been happily married by now, whatever bro. It ain't happen, he dumb, move on." She shrugged carelessly, staring down at me. "Every time I talk to you, you keep saying you working on yourself, y'all focusing on the future, all that. So do that. Y'all past is a little messy, so your feelings gonna be hurt every time it comes up. So now what? Be hurt over it, cry your little tears and then move forward."