10 . LOOSE CHANGE

August 5th, 2003Harlem, New York

August 5th, 2003
Harlem, New York

"I've been thinking 'bout ya
Are you thinking 'bout me?
I know I went crazy
But you were wrong
I apologize, I'll let it go tonight
Forgive me and I'll forgive you"

"Bishop is gonna kick me out in about five minutes."

A hazy, satisfied smile was on Naomi's face as she sunk deeper into the comfort of the bean bag chair on the floor of Chris' temporary bedroom. He was seated on the edge of the bed in front of her, rubbing the arch in her foot while his eyes were glued to the TV across the room.

She didn't care to turn around and find out what he was watching, she knew it wouldn't interest her. He was all sports and scary movies, not her cup of tea.

"Yeah he can't stand when your ass is over here."

"Because you're obsessed with me."

He tore his eyes from the screen long enough to shoot her a look that read "yeah right" and made her giggle.

Since she got to New York, they spent every other day together. When he wasn't working or running from label to label, audition to audition, he was with her or with TJ. He made a lot of friends in the neighborhood, and Naomi didn't mind him hanging out with them because she made some herself.

She met a lot of people through Stephanie, mostly older guys and a few cool girls. But when they got tired of each other, she was with Dutch, a friend she made last summer that worked next door to the salon. He commented one day how he thought she was so pretty and they got closer as the weeks went on. He was funny, and outspoken— said whatever came to his mind. There was never a dull moment with Dutch.

"Can you stop looking at the TV and look at me please? You've been watching that thing for like an hour. I'm leaving soon, I want some attention."

"I'm not obsessed enough for you now shawty?" He eased off the bed and down on the floor with her, dragging the bean bag chair between his legs. "And where you going?"

"To the movies with Dutch and Steph. If you would listennnn, you'd know that." She reached out and teasingly tugged on his ears, making him wince and swat her hands away. As she relaxed back into her original position, he gripped her legs and rose his eyebrow at her.

"You sure he like boys?"

"Yes, I'm sure." She chuckled, rolling her eyes at him.

"Then why he wanna be with you all the time?"

"Because I'm fun. And people like me."