20 PT. 1 . OFF OF YOU

*Steph in the media

naomi

January 21st, 2008
2:15 PM

"So if l'm looking up don't mind me
But I can't be down no more
And if you don't know where to find me
l'm out looking
I'm looking for the silver lining
And I don't know where
But I'm hoping I'll find it"

"Here we go."

I rolled my eyes as a new paparazzi photo of Chris and his girlfriend appeared on my screen. I could never just browse the internet in peace—somehow these two always ended up popping up somewhere. They were on every blog, all the time.

I took a second to analyze the picture of them walking out of a store in Atlanta a few days ago. Chris was smiling casually, with his hands deep in his pockets. And she...she looked like a model walking beside him on a regular day. Her spidery, long legs seemed to move in stride with his. They looked so...perfect.

I quickly slammed my laptop shut.

Was that it? Am I fat? I mean, I knew I gained weight since the baby, but am I that bad?

"You think I'm fat?"

As soon as I let the words out my mouth, and saw the look on Steph's face I regretted it. She was about to drag me through the mud.

"Bitch are you crazy? Your body is literally flawless. It's in the genes." She bent over and shook her ass playfully. "Stop letting that bald head girl get to you. Because even if you was fat, you'd still be the baddest bitch that nigga ever had. Millions of dollars, and he still can't buy a better version of you."

She lovingly tapped my chin, and gently moved my hair out my face. One thing was for certain, Steph knew how to give a pep talk. She could really convince you that you were a supermodel even if you were a pimple faced, gremlin.

"Okay...you're right. I'm trippin."

"I'm always right. And you need to focus on your date tonight. I got a couple clients at the salon and then imma come back to help you get ready." She started to collect her stuff off the kitchen island, tossing them into her oversized Chanel bag one by one.

"Grandmas finally letting you work out the salon?"

Steph was a talented makeup artist— it's the thing she was best at since we were kids. She was always getting in trouble for going in Auntie Cam's makeup, but now she made a career out of it. She's been trying to convince grandma to let her take clients at the salon for like a year now. But grandma said her shop is a hair salon, not a beauty salon, and she didn't take Steph's idea seriously.

"Girl, only a few clients on the weekends. She acting like these old bitches don't need their damn liver spots covered up."

"You know you wrong." I laughed, pointing at her as she smirked and rolled her eyes.